How to fit plastic edging strip to ceramic wall tiles?

Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but what is the best way to apply plastic edging strip to wall tiles?

I want to use the strip around a window opening and a door frame in a bathroom.

Should I fit the strip before tiling i.e. nail or glue it to the wall - or is it best to try to wedge the strip under the tiles before the adhesive sets.

Any ideas much appreciated!

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

I fixed mine round the opening of the window first, I glued it in place, this gave me a nice straight line to tile up to, also you can mitre the corners properly.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Blimey, that was a quick reply ;-)

Cheers for the tip!

What glue did you use - "No more nails" or similar?

ETV

mrcheerful . wrote:

Reply to
Eric The Viking

Apply tile cement, and press the edging on so that the cement oozes up through the holes, and then stick the tiles on - all before the cement sets.

Reply to
Set Square

Step before. Cut and mitre as required, taking into account you don't want a double layer of the holey bit anywhere. Well worth using edging strip, tidies up other wise exposed tile edges neatly and will take minor knocks a lot better than the tiles...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Usually the tiles sit up against the architrave around the door, so don't need edging. It's up to you whether you fix the edging for the window first. I usually slip it under the tiles while the adhesive is still wet and stick a couple of bits of masking tape round it to keep the mitres in place.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Slow but accurate method. Measure up window opening and mitre corners as necessary - make sure the edging noze protrudes the thickness of a tile + adhesive beyond the window reveal. Stick up temporarily using pieces of masking tape and check that trim is vertical/horizontal as appropriate. When satisified smooth tile adhesive into hole cutouts on strip. Make sure there are no blobs of adhesive left that would interfere with tile placement. When finished, re-check vertical/horizontal and trim position to make sure none's moved. Leave to set and then use trim as edge to tile to. Personally I like to leave a grout joint between tile and trim, I believe others push tile upto trim nozing.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Thanks to all for the great advice! I now have a clear idea of how to fit the edging strips. Will find out how *exactly* clear when I end up covered in adhesive ;-)

Thanks chaps!

ETV

Eric The Vik> Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but what is the best way to

Reply to
Eric The Viking

Wouldn't it be better to fix the tiles to the edge of the reveal that aren't going to have the edging strip under them first? Then you can ensure the the nose is in the right place rather than relying on measuring and guessing how thick the adhesive will be. It also allows a certain amount of "adjustment" of the trim for real walls, ie none flat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice