Painting uPVC

Has anybody painted their uPVC, and how successfull is it ?

There are various products for doing this, most easilly avaiable seems to be a primer by "international paints"

I really want black facia & soffit boards, but the black adds 700 quid to the bill. even if the paint costs me 11 quid, I save 600.

My other option is to use oak

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Assuming it's clean just paint it *direct* with oil based black paint. That will outlast any other outside decoration on the house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If uPVC is what downpipes and guttering are made of then Dave Plowman is right: paint gloss on directly and it seems to last forever.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Success seems to depend on how old the uPVC was when you painted it. If it's new, then it's no trouble at all to get a good long-lasting result.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , Andy writes

Marley's certainly are.

Oak sounds better to me though

Reply to
chris French

Yes, you use oil based top coat directly (no undercoat). The paint solvent dissolves slightly into the PVC surface and forms a permanent bond (as anyone who has accidently splashed black gloss onto white PVC will be able to confirm;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I am not aware of any plastic guttering which isn't.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

PVC tends to "chalk" on exposure to the elements. If this is the case use scotchbrite and detergent, followed by a good rinse and dry.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

International paints make a UPVC primer. We used it on our brown UPVC front door and top coated with their blue exterior gloss.

Highly recommended bought it from Homebase for about =A312 I think.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

12 quid wasted, then. Any oil paint bonds to PVC very well without a primer. And will last much longer than the same paint with all the proper preparation, primer and undercoats on the surrounding wood. Just make sure the PVC is clean.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)