OxySafe Gas fire

Hi. Just had a Valor 'Oxysafe' gas fire installed and can't get it to work.

The fire is the Valor Silhouette Oxysafe, on this page,

Is there some procedure that the guy I hired, overlooked? Or is there some trick to perform to get the fire to work?

Mum, dad and 11 month old very cold here.

Thanks.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

He left without testing it ?!?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Have you got the manual, if not the user instructions can be downloaded on the following link.

Gavin Gillespie

He installed it but didn't know enough to overcome the problem.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

Thanks for the link. Is there a link for an Installation manual?

Arthur.

Arthur

<Snipped>

Arthur,

If this is a fact that "He installed it but didn't know enough to overcome the problem" then I would be seriously worried about other aspects of the installation - such as flue and gas connections and I would advise (for you and your families safety) that these be checked before lighting the appliance by CORGI registered intstaller, familiar with this type of appliance - and the cost recharged back to the original installer.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Brian. Thanks for your concerns. However, I watched the man use a smoke pellet to check the flow thru the chimney and a guage to check the gas pressure and he was satisfied with both. I will be calling the Valor help line on Monday and take it from there.

Thanks again.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

All the same if he couldn't commission it he should have disconnected it and left the pipework capped off.

Reply to
John Stumbles

What!?! - complain to CORGI.

The name itself suggests that there is a pilot light system whose principle function is to detect oxygen depletion in the supply air.

Without even looking at I would expect that you have to hold down the control for a few second after turning the fire on or it will go out.

I would guess that you have to turn the control and push down simultaneously - this will light a pilot flame after a few seconds (probably 15-20 in the book) you can release and the main gas will come on.

If the original installer could not get it to work though it means the fire has not been checked.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If he was not capable of sorting out a damn simple thing like a gas fire with an oxysafe pilot then his competence is very seriously in question. I trust you saw his CORGI registration card before he started work? What exactly is the problem that you or he experienced? Will the pilot light at all either by use of the spark or in extremis by use of a match etc? If it won't are you/he sure that there is gas present at the inlet to the fire (was the pipe purged of air first) or that the gas valve is opening to the pilot or the pilot is not clogged with installation debris

If the pilot will light does its flame envelop the thermocouple tip and heat it up

The flue should have been checked and smoke tested prior to the fire being fitted but once the fire is lit then a nil spillage test is required with doors and windows closed.

I really think you should get a competent installer in to put this problem to bed considering the low competence already demonstrated by your first guy.

Reply to
John