Oven light cover smashed - can I still use?

Hi everyone,

Much to my wife's obvious delight, I dropped and smashed the glass cover that fits over our Whirlpool oven bulb earlier.

My question is - can I put the new bulb in and use the cooker without the bulb cover in place, do I leave the bulb out as well, or would that only fry the connection inside?

Any advice gratefully received!

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Dunno if it's the right advice, but I wouldn't personally want to use the oven without that cover in place. During cooking there's bound to be moisture released from the food, and that cover most probably prevents the moisture getting to where it shouldn't go.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

I'm not familiar with that oven, but I suspect you risk damaging the oven wiring. Some ovens have a cabinet overtemp sensor which you might trip. If it's a fitted oven, you might damage the kitchen unit, or worse.

CPC is a likely source of a replacement part. If you order a Whirlpool part they haven't needed to supply before, they will create a new part number for it and then order it in.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

the glass provides a thermal break, without it the bulb, socket and wiring will hit 230C+. I wouldnt use it myself. It might work, or it might fry it.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Good news is that at our local tip there are ovens of all descrioptins just begging to be stripped for spares..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks everyone!

I'm now even more popular at home, after telling my wife we can't use the oven until I get this bit from CPC!!

I appreciate all the info, thanks.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Get a price for a spare on if the CPC fails you.

this helps (Don't use the oven

-- hoopla

Reply to
hoopla