Unidentified non-flying oven

A few weeks ago we moved into a bungalow requiring a great deal of TLC. The kitchen boasted a cooker.

My wife was willing to use the hob but not the oven until it had been seriouly cleaned. That happened today, when we discovered the outdide was white rather than cream!

We are pretty sure the oven is a gas one but couldn't work out how to light the gas. Attempts to get information from the www and mymanuals in particular both failed.

So, in desperation ....

The Model is a Diplomat Model Number: 059043433

Advice anyone?

TIA

Reply to
pinnerite

Pretty sure?

Have you looked inside?

I think you might not have the right model number.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Check the knob for "Regulo" numbers.

Reply to
Robin

Maybe try here:

Richard

Surely you can tell if there's a burner strip at the back/rear? Maybe a grill with a radiant grid at the top too?

What knobs and buttons does it have? Is gas definitely live in the house for e.g. boiler or fire?

Any hiss if you turn and/or press-in knobs?

any click/spark if you press buttons?

photos?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The rings on the top are gas and work fine.

The model number taken from a plate on the inside of the oven door reads:

Diplomat 059043433

Regrettably the link doesn't lead to it.

Thanks for trying to help.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Gas ovens. Horrible things.

After 40 years, we changed to Electric - a drier heat, things are more crispy and better baked.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

This is a very old cooker. It might even have antique value. :)

The label has a postal code, so not that old but about 50 years old is my guess.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

The model number should be of the form ABC1234 or ABC1234D.

For example, I have a Diplomat dishwasher. The actual model number is ADP8332 which is printed on a label on the side of the door, but there are 'SERVICE' and 'SER' numbers on it which are given greater prominence than the model number. There are other numbers behind the kickboard, which are also not the model number.

I would guess that 059043433 is the part number of some part of the machine (perhaps the door?) not of the whole. I would pull out the machine and see if there are any numbers on the side or the rear.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I am afraid you are making an assumption.

How far far back can you go with model numbers starting with alphabet characters?

This one predates them.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

I have no idea. Diplomat was a house brand of MFI, who are no longer with us. So all we know is it's some time between 1964 when they were founded, and 2008 when they went bust.

I did manage to find this:

suggests there was a model called 059044112, and the same part fits a number of 058xxxxxx models made by Stoves. Diplomat was a rebadge of other manufacturers so maybe yours is actually a Stoves? Nearest I can get is a door seal for a Stoves 05904349 and some Diplomat APLnnnn models:
Stoves are still around (part of Glen Dimplex) so you could always ask them?
Theo (by the same process, it appears my ADP8332 is actually a Whirlpool ADP8332)

Reply to
Theo

The following firm sells a spark electrode which it says is the main way to light the oven:

Dave W

I agree and in September it is all going to change but right now .....

My problem is how to ignite the gas in the oven. The hob is easy.

But the idea of trying to light it towards the back of the oven gives me the collywobbles. If I had a long taper I would try it.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Hairy arms are over-rated anyway.

Light the lighter first, point it near the back of the oven, turn the knob on slightly till the burner lights may need to hold it in until thermocouple 'catches', withdraw arm and turn it up to required Gas Mark[TM]

Reply to
Andy Burns