OT. Unidentified Flying Objects

Some things just haven't been explained.

Dean Hoffman

I got a kick out of listening to that moron Mark Warner, of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. After ruling out a few possibilities of what these might be, he drew down on foreign govts being the possible source, the Russians or Chinese. Right. The Russians have no history of being able to develop advanced technology and no ability to manufacture much of anything. The Chinese are great at manufacturing, but not so great at developing new tech. Yet somehow one of these countries has a new technology that allows unheard of, stunning acceleration rates and other behaviors that are seen regularly with UFOs? And Russia or China decided that instead of keeping this a state secret and only exposing it when and if necessary to instead routinely use it to taunt the US Navy and Air Force, to fly it around US military installations, etc.? Glad we have geniuses like that looking out for us.

One thing has changed over the last several decades. Previously a lot of cold water was thrown on any reports of UFOs, questioning the credibility of their existence, questioning the credibility of the witnesses, insisting that they must be wrong, that they could not have seen what they claimed. Now it's more of recognizing that the reports are real and we don't know what's going on. At least the public and most of the govt doesn't.

Reply to
trader_4

It reminds of using a laser pointer to drive the cat crazy. Don't they make laser pointers in China? Let's blame them.

Reply to
micky

No question that there are unidentified flying objects. Extrapolation to little green men is highly questionable.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Exactly. The people who study space for a living say these are not extraterrestrial beings flying around. I tend to listen to them.

You have observational errors, hysteria and secret government programs. I am not going for space monkeys from Orion as my first guess.

Reply to
gfretwell

I saw two UFOs as a teenager, but none since then. I didn't see any aliens.

Also, for 4 years during my military career I worked with a guy who said he and his wife had been abducted by aliens multiple times. The first time it was against their will, but he said the experience was not unpleasant so they sort of volunteered to go back multiple times. He and his wife were members of Mufon.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

As usual, I'd love to see a reference for that claim.

Just like always, stuck in the past, that was the prevalent view 50 years ago. It's just swamp gas, reflecting off Saturn....... Try applying some logic, like why a secret govt program would be taunting the US Navy and Air Force, repeatedly, exposing a top secret program of immense advantage. Heh, I know what we should do, let's fly it weekly past US military, let's go taunt commercial aircraft. Do we have any history of that happening with the stealth bomber or fighters? It would also be one hell of a leap in technology to have something that can accelerate at the rates seen, including the near instantaneous changes in direction at high speed. The laws of physics strongly suggest it's not something any govt here created.

Reply to
trader_4

A fundamental knowledge of the physics and energy it would take for interstellar travel would tell you this.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 20:23:07 -0500, Jim Joyce posted for all of us to digest...

Anal probes?

Reply to
Tekkie©

Listen to Neil Degrasse Tyson or the old recording from Carl Sagan. They admit there probably is intelligent life on other planets but we have never detected it nor do they believe they have the ability to get here. There is plenty of science fiction about warping space but no indication it can actually allow interstellar travel. I suppose if you get your science from Gene Roddenberry, anything is possible

The F-117 was the source of plenty of UFO reports around Area 51.

If you think they are space monkeys go for it. I would like to see more evidence than simply something strange going on we can't explain.

Reply to
gfretwell

Something is going on, but it's not observational errors and hysteria, unless you think all the highly experienced military pilots, radar operators, etc are hysterical and dismiss all the pictures, radar screen captures, etc. Some of it could be observational errors, but not much of it, not anymore. That's how it was dismissed

50 years ago, that people must be lying, that they could not possibly have seen what they claim. Today it's becoming accepted that these people are mostly not hysterical, nor is it observational error.
Reply to
trader_4

What I have heard those types say is that we have no proof that UFOs are of alien origin, not that they can't be or don't have the capability to get here. They readily admit we don't know what UFOs are, they are not dismissing them as hysteria and observational errors. It's quite absurd to think we know what advancements alien civilizations that could be millions of years older than ours have made. Just look at what we've done in the last two hundred years. A smartphone or airplane would have seemed impossible in 1800, or landing man on the moon.

Reply to
trader_4

The huge difference is the scientists did understand the principles of flight as early as Bernoulli in the 1730s and Newton had computed the escape velocity necessary to leave the earth in the 1600s.. The technology was simply scaling up 2000 year old rocket technology. Nobody is even close to explaining how you warp space and the speed of light seems to be the limiting factor in any normal way of transiting trillions of miles of space. Tell me which astrophysicist takes alien space craft buzzing military jets seriously.

Reply to
gfretwell