Replace Bosch Oven Light - GGrrrr

Hi all

Not sure how common a problem this is or whether it is a design flaw.

Whenever I need to replace the oven light, the glass cover that protects the bulb is always seized in, probably something to do with cycling temperatures mixed with vapourised food particles.

Anyhow, this time it seems to be worse than ever. Either that or I am getting weaker which is highly likely.

The glass cover which is about 2-1/2" diameter has a thread on it, so the whole thing screws into a plate at the top of the oven. It doesn't screw into the oven casing itself but rather a plate above this which moves a bit when turning the glass cover (this is not really relevant but a detail which seems strange to me).

Unfortunately, the glass cover is surrounded by heating element so it is not possible to get one of those rubber strap type oil filter remover gizmos on it.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on methods to get the glass cover to unscrew please? And yes, according to the instruction manual I am turning the thing the right way (although I have tried "tightening" it in an attempt to free it off).

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

thescullster expressed precisely :

Ours are oblong, either side, slide in to latch and yes they too jam. I get a heavy block of wood and tap them with that, which always frees them - though next time I intend smearing some high melting point grease on the mating surfaces, to see if that helps.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It seems expensive for what it is, but it works

Andy Burns

Same oven. Same problem. Holding the glass with a rubber glove *greatly* increases my grip. This has worked for me so far.

Reply to
GB

... and when (if?) you manage to get the cover off don't screw it back fully when you have replaced the bulb. I.e. screw it right in then undo it half a turn or so.

Reply to
Chris Green

I found a device akin to a large socket which fits over the cover and provides a large knob to turn. This was for a Bosch oven - part found on Amazon, ISTR Still got it, but no label on it - sorry.

Oh and make sure the power to the oven is turned off. Some form of interlock was in mine. Since the door is open the lamp could otherwise be live.

Reply to
charles

That's the one I got.

Reply to
charles

They ought to supply one with every Neff/Siemens/Bosch oven ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bless! The point of consumer marketing is to make the product cheap and attractive to by, but expensive to own.

Only businesses do TCO calculations, by and large..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For our Bosch oven, they sell an extractor that fits over the cover and makes it easy to turn.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I bought one when I bought the bulb. From Bosch.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As this is a DIY group, why not print one?

GB

Amazon can probably deliver quicker than 6.5 hours :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think that is worth a try. Another option would be to apply a few turns of PTFE tape, making sure you don't leave any loose that could get on to an element. The problem arises from the cover threads becoming "glued" with lacquers formed by oxidised oils and fats.

Reply to
newshound

Hi Chris

My reservations there would be the thing vibrating undone and dropping off with all the clattering of trays, shelves and plates that goes on with these oven things.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Hmmm yes - haven't tried the hammer approach yet. Surprised no-ones suggested an angle grinder.

Reply to
thescullster

Hey - could have a result there!!! Remembered having the same problem a while ago and looked back at emails. Found one from 2014 that offered to supply a removal tool. Rang the number just now and they have put one in the post FOC.

Presumably this is the item that one or two have posted links for. Will post back with the result.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

They *do* supply one with every (overpriced!) replacement glass cover.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If the door is hinged at the bottom, remove it before changing the bulb. It's then easier to get in the right position to apply some torque to the glass cover.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It is - thanks Roger I'll keep that in mind.

Did seem to be getting some pretty serious umpty on the thing using hand force and a wide rubbber strap

Reply to
thescullster