Broken Oven Light

Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers) jammed in the threads. I'm too arthritic to get down there, and probably couldn't do any better anyway. Any bright ideas please? I wondered if something like an Easiout might do it, if I could get one. I can't get down there to see what is left inside the thread, although a photo with a phone camera might solve that one.
--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

ke

ra

WD40? But don't use the oven shortly afterwards, it's flammable.
-- No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
On 07/03/2014 3:25 PM, Uncle Peter wrote:

The flammability (and the smell) is one thing what stopped me trying it. Not being able to get down there easily, I thought that any advantage gained might be offset by having WD40 all over the bit we were trying to grip on to - the bulb is "point upwards", so the WD 40 would tend to run out of the threads rather than into them - although capillary action might persuade it to run uphill. I'll bear the idea in mind though - if all else fails I'll have to try it.
--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

rote:

bit

mly

do

like

mera

t.

on

Any grandchildren/younger neighbours with small hands that can get in there?
-- A van carrying a dozen movie stunt men on the way to a film location in the mountains spun out of control on the icy road, crashed through a guardrail, rolled down a 90-foot embankment, turned over, and burst into flames. There were no injuries.
On 07/03/2014 4:56 PM, Uncle Peter wrote:

No, I'm afraid not. SWMBO is going to have another go over the weekend using a couple of the ideas we've got from the group - failing success there we'll od as was suggested and peer in through the door with a torch :-)
--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

rote:

wrote:

s bit

irmly

t do

g like

camera

it.

g to

tion

if

there?

ALL your neighbours are old?
-- "Boy, will I give YOU a haircut!" said Tom barbarously.
On 07/03/2014 7:01 PM, Uncle Peter wrote:

Mostly, yes - nearly all retired round here. There are a few youngsters, but none I know well enough to ask to roll about on my kitchen floor and poke metal things into electrical apparatus.
--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Alimony - the Bounty on the Mutiny!

Anyone would help you replace a bulb surely? A few elderly neighbours have asked me to do fiddly things before.
--
Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are
registered blood donors.
On 07/03/2014 18:30, Bob Henson wrote:

But if you abandon the broken bulb, and do without it, be careful because it's likely to have some exposed live parts!
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 07/03/2014 7:52 PM, Roger Mills wrote:

That's why I want to fix it - however, it is behind a thick glass panel and, at the moment, isn't touching anything it shouldn't.
--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Heaven is where the police are British, the mechanics German, the cooks
Bob Henson wrote:

I had a problem replacing the bulb in the microwave oven and found that shining a torch through the window was the easiest answer. :-)
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

I had a similar problem to Bob, and ended up graunching the bulb base into bits with needle nose pliers & wrenching out the bits. Bob's OH just needs to attack it a bit more vigorously.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 66th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180
"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The

Would it be possible to jam a large flat bladed screw driver into the remains of it and undo it that way?
--
Bill

On 07/03/2014 3:52 PM, Bill wrote:

It might well be - if only I could get down there myself I could tell. I think we'll have a go at that this weekend, if SWMBO thinks she has the necessary grip. I can't think of anything else that we could fit into it.
--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.
On 07/03/2014 15:58, Bob Henson wrote:

The other way that may work is a cheap pair of side cutters and effectively nibble a cut into the edge then twist it away from the thread. Basically you have to be pretty brutal if the metalwork is stuck in the socket. Tricky if it is a ceramic socket rather than metal... Bayonet fitting are easier to extract under these circumstances but that isn't a lot of help.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 07/03/2014 4:32 PM, Martin Brown wrote:

I might be able to use sidecutters to cut a slot in each opposite side, and then fit something across the two slots on which I could get more purchase - thanks for the idea.
--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Squirrel - a rat with good PR.
writes

A carrot?
It sometimes works.
--
Adam

On 09/03/2014 08:32, ARW wrote:

And if that doesn't work, try a stick! <g>
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 09/03/2014 11:21, Roger Mills wrote:

Can you grab the edge of the bulb with a mole grip? Or there's too little space?
On 07/03/2014 15:19, Bob Henson wrote:

When that happened on my cooker I phoned zanussi and they sent me a new lamp unit, it was easy to swap.