Broken Oven Light

Anyone would help you replace a bulb surely? A few elderly neighbours have asked me to do fiddly things before.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

But if you abandon the broken bulb, and do without it, be careful because it's likely to have some exposed live parts!

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's why I want to fix it - however, it is behind a thick glass panel and, at the moment, isn't touching anything it shouldn't.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Have you tried it at various stages of oven heating/cooling? The expansion and contraction may make it easier at some point. Obviously you would need to wear gloves or something.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

In view of it's impossible position I reckon that's too dangerous, but thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Bob Henson

I would have expected the thin metal of the lamp to sort of peel inwards and come out of the holder. Has SWMBO tried twisting the pliers in an appropriate direction to peel it inwards?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's so well concealed you can't get enough grip on it.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Gripping story so far... please let us know how it turns out! PS. In the past I've used the power off at MCB, thin nosed pliers to grip thread, turn anti clockwise...approach. But I can understand that access could make that difficult.

Reply to
Olav M

Maybe pull oven out, lay it on its back.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It sometimes works.

Reply to
ARW

And if that doesn't work, try a stick!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Can you grab the edge of the bulb with a mole grip? Or there's too little space?

Reply to
GB

Most oven doors come off easily. (And go back again!)

Reply to
GB

Something I wished I'd known about nearly 2 1/2 years ago when dragging an almost new Bosch Double Oven (model: hbn43m521b) up our concrete drive on a hand truck trolly. I hit a rough patch and the main oven door glass shattered because I'd had its handle resting against the 'upright' part of the trolly on account the weight distribution wouldn't allow me to rest it the other way round.

If I'd been aware of this feature, I'd have removed both oven doors and not only eliminated the risk of damage but also considerably lightened the load on the trolly as well as my knees and back (the doors are quite heavy for their size - triple glazed on the main door) and I'd have saved about £110 expenditure on a replacement outer glass[1].

As usual, I didn't find out about how to remove the doors until a google search found me the user guide after we'd slotted it into place (direct swap out for a 25+ yo New World Double Oven or similar - I can't recall the actual make right now and I ain't about to disturb SWMBI at this time of night).

With it being a triple glazed door I was able to try it out and even utilise the main oven whilst waiting on the delivery of the replacement glass.

[1] It was worth buying a replacement glass to repair the oven since my step son had given it to us for free (even lending me his works van to transport it home). He'd just moved house and had removed the oven when he had the kitchen completely remodelled with the latest 'shiny appliances money could buy' and it had been sat in his garage for a week or two just taking up space. It was in pristine condition except for, afair, it missing one of the oven lamp cover glasses.

When I ordered the the replacement glass panel, I remembered to include a replacement oven lamp glass cover on the order. Unfortunately, this 'delivery charge' saving tactic was rather spoilt by my having to place yet another seperate order for a replacement oven lamp or two (40W SES). They're not so readily available as the more common 15W pygmy SES lamps.

ISTR the lamps cost about a fiver each so I probably only ordered the one. A 15W pygmy oven lamp has the same size thread but the disparity in lumen output compared to the 40 watter rather suggests that the result will be rather on the dim side of dark.

Reply to
Johny B Good

I remove my oven doors every time I clean the oven. It makes it easier to reach in and the door can be cleaned better when next to the sink. Usually a couple of quarter turn catches sort of lock the mechanism so that it can be withdrawn. A little project for those who haven't done it!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's a definite case of RTFM! :)

Reply to
GB

My oven door goes in the dishwasher along with all the shelves. They are really easy to clean the "burnt on" stuff if you do it while they are fresh from the dishwasher.

Reply to
dennis

I've got a Bosch single oven whose door comes off easily by moving the catches on the hinges.

I've also got a Bosch combi-microwave whose door *looks* as if it ought to come off - but its hinges are a bit different, and I can't figure out how to do it! The driver's handbook doesn't mention removing the door. Anyone come across these? [I could probably post a picture if that would help].

Reply to
Roger Mills

My son's Smeg oven door was a right pig. Special pins (which you don't happen to have about your person) need to be inserted in certain holes to lock the hinges. Easy when you know how, but a PITA for the consumer

Reply to
stuart noble

Exactly the same on the Double Oven. The latches lock the hinge 'tongues' allowing the door to be lifted out of engagement with the oven hinge slots. Perhaps a couple of seconds each hinge and you can have the oven door loose in your hands in little more than 5 seconds.

It's easy when you know how. It's just a pity I didn't know about this feature when I loaded it into my step son's van.

Sorry, I can't help on that one other than to venture that it might not be possible seeing as how door hinge alignment is somewhat critical to keeping the cooking cavity RF tight.

Reply to
Johny B Good