Thought on LEDs for ceiling light

I made the decision and ripped out the 4 x halogens in the ceiling (Shower room), I will replace with LEDs, to make life easier I want standard fittings, no transformers and an easy change bulb.
My current thoughts are a central ceiling light with 3 or 4 LED lamps. Thinking to go for 5 watt each. Anyone got experience re light levels etc with this? Warm or daylight. it will need to be bright.
I want either bayonet BC22 although light fittings a bit scarce. Or screw E27, Mainly because they may be around long enough to save me changing fittings at a later date. Any issues with E27 or BC22 I am trying to get some uniformity throughout the house as currently I have thin screw type/wide screw type, Gu10 / MR16 and standard bayonet.
Any thoughts on the above as this is my first move to LEDs.

What were the halogens you ripped out? If they were GU10s I would have left the fittings & swapped the lamps for good warm white LEDs
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 23/08/2015 20:28, Graham. wrote:

Well it has been on my mind for the last 2 years to get rid of the Halogens and back then when I looked they were expensive, plus I was not happy with the wiring as a couple of them would intermittently just turn off, so I just went for it, it will be a complete rip out of the shower room.
Anyhow my kitchen has 13 halogens so will check current prices and see if thats a good option for that room. Lounge has 10 halogens.
On Sunday, 23 August 2015 20:51:11 UTC+1, ss wrote:

Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its not.

transformer overheating or holder contacts. Either way very fixable.

NT

So what you reckon is best other than daylight, other half will make life hell if not bright enough.
On Sunday, 23 August 2015 21:11:21 UTC+1, ss wrote:

not.

2700-3500K are good for domestic use. A minority of people like cooler whit e, eg 4500K, but to a lot of people those are hideous. 'Daylight' is especi ally bad. It is roughly the same colour as at least one version of real day light, but the eye percieves it very differently to real daylight, and it a in't pleasant.
NT
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 21:11:15 +0100, ss wrote:

So-called "daylight" is often 6000 - 6500K and blueish. For living/working rooms I prefer 4100 - 4600K (I've both and there's very little difference) as it's clear and bright and not blue. In a 12' square room there 3-off 5W, 600lm 4100K lamps in clear/frosted shades and the lighting is, er, brilliant. (Amazon) http://amzn.to/1EerrOf The kitchen, a bit smaller, has 5-off 3W, 320lm 4100K lamps. http://amzn.to/1Eerw4h These are 'sem-flush', not recessed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

I may look at that as I could put them back in.
I know now why the expense (I think) when I last looked, it was for the kitchen and had to be dimmable.

I prefer cool white to the hideous yellow colour type bulbs. If you eyesight isn't as good as it once was the cool whites tend to give a perceived better contrast, especially when viewing the printed page
I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish) bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole room.
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-led-lighting/led-panel-lights/20-watt-high-output-300-x-300-led-panel-1477.html
I've surface mounted it on the ceiling with the supplied transformer in the loft space directly above. The fixing is 4 screws into the ceiling that slide into 4 keyhole fixings mounted on the back of the panel
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/584735483/keyhole_mounting_bracket.jpg
In my experience the electronics in the LED GU type down lighters get too hot giving a short lifespan for these type of LED bulb assemblies.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Pity about the price.

£30.24 from the same company if you tell tham that you are a trade customer.
--
Adam

On 24/08/2015 18:52, ARW wrote:

They sometimes do 'VAT free weekends' promotions and/or 10% to 20% off promotions.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

It's even better value when they offer the promotions to the trade prices:-)
--
Adam

Still a mad price.

And your better alternative is?
--
Adam

I didn’t say there was a better alternative.
That particular market is clearly still in its obscene ripoff phase.
On 24/08/2015 21:36, Rod Speed wrote:

£20 on ebay.

Still an obscene ripoff, particularly without the 5 year warranty so that it may well not even manage to last a year etc.

I have probably now fitted well over 500 600 x 600 LED grid panels in schools, hospitals offices etc similar to the ones you linked to.
I am impressed with them.
--
Adam

On 24/08/2015 18:56, ARW wrote:

I like the look of the 300x300 ones, I assume although a reasonable shelf life there will come a point the panel needs replacing rather than individual LEDs.
Looks like a good option for my shower room.