Thought on LEDs for ceiling light

I made the decision and ripped out the 4 x halogens in the ceiling (Shower room), I will replace with LEDs, to make life easier I want standard fittings, no transformers and an easy change bulb.

My current thoughts are a central ceiling light with 3 or 4 LED lamps. Thinking to go for 5 watt each. Anyone got experience re light levels etc with this? Warm or daylight. it will need to be bright.

I want either bayonet BC22 although light fittings a bit scarce. Or screw E27, Mainly because they may be around long enough to save me changing fittings at a later date. Any issues with E27 or BC22 I am trying to get some uniformity throughout the house as currently I have thin screw type/wide screw type, Gu10 / MR16 and standard bayonet.

Any thoughts on the above as this is my first move to LEDs.

Reply to
ss

What were the halogens you ripped out? If they were GU10s I would have left the fittings & swapped the lamps for good warm white LEDs

Reply to
Graham.

Well it has been on my mind for the last 2 years to get rid of the Halogens and back then when I looked they were expensive, plus I was not happy with the wiring as a couple of them would intermittently just turn off, so I just went for it, it will be a complete rip out of the shower room.

Anyhow my kitchen has 13 halogens so will check current prices and see if thats a good option for that room. Lounge has 10 halogens.

Reply to
ss

Daylight are hideous. People tend to assume its just like daytime, its not.

transformer overheating or holder contacts. Either way very fixable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So what you reckon is best other than daylight, other half will make life hell if not bright enough.

Reply to
ss

I may look at that as I could put them back in.

I know now why the expense (I think) when I last looked, it was for the kitchen and had to be dimmable.

Reply to
ss

I prefer cool white to the hideous yellow colour type bulbs. If you eyesight isn't as good as it once was the cool whites tend to give a perceived better contrast, especially when viewing the printed page

I've fitted a 300mm x 300mm cool white LED panel in my large(ish) bathroom and I'm impressed with the even light it gives to the whole room.

I've surface mounted it on the ceiling with the supplied transformer in the loft space directly above. The fixing is 4 screws into the ceiling that slide into 4 keyhole fixings mounted on the back of the panel

In my experience the electronics in the LED GU type down lighters get too hot giving a short lifespan for these type of LED bulb assemblies.

Reply to
alan_m

2700-3500K are good for domestic use. A minority of people like cooler whit e, eg 4500K, but to a lot of people those are hideous. 'Daylight' is especi ally bad. It is roughly the same colour as at least one version of real day light, but the eye percieves it very differently to real daylight, and it a in't pleasant.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So-called "daylight" is often 6000 - 6500K and blueish. For living/working rooms I prefer 4100 - 4600K (I've both and there's very little difference) as it's clear and bright and not blue. In a 12' square room there 3-off 5W, 600lm 4100K lamps in clear/frosted shades and the lighting is, er, brilliant. (Amazon)

The kitchen, a bit smaller, has 5-off 3W, 320lm 4100K lamps.
These are 'sem-flush', not recessed.

Reply to
PeterC

Some person on one of those house make over shows the other day was waxing lyrical about led strips which from what he described were all ove the ceiling, must have been an electricians nightmare, no matter how cool it looked.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I have probably now fitted well over 500 600 x 600 LED grid panels in schools, hospitals offices etc similar to the ones you linked to.

I am impressed with them.

Reply to
ARW

I've fitted a circular one in my porch (cheapo on eBay) which is only marginally thicker than plasterboard it's recessed into. I cut off and extended the low voltage wiring, so the PSU is completely remote in the garage. The ring of LED tape 'fires' inwards, illuminating the circular glass plate through the edge, with a clever diffusion pattern and reflector above to even out the light pattern.

Similar to this ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I like the look of the 300x300 ones, I assume although a reasonable shelf life there will come a point the panel needs replacing rather than individual LEDs.

Looks like a good option for my shower room.

Reply to
ss

I'll take details of what I fit in the morning at a local College. They are

600x600 but there is a 5 year warranty on them. And we will use that if needed.
Reply to
ARW

Trust you to find a light that I have never fitted:-)

It looks OK to me.

Reply to
ARW

Does it give a wider beam pattern than you'd get with the more usual grid of chips pointing downwards? I want something like that for a walk-in larder with items on shelves right up to the ceiling. A LED bulb in a conventional fitting gives good light distribution but doesn't last long because of the heat.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I'd say *considerably* better than downward firing LEDs, the diffusion sheet (a bit like a circular halftone screen) does an excellent job.

Mine's 6" diameter, 6 watt, mounted centrally in a 6'x4' ish porch with

6'6" ceiling.

It gives a good wash of light onto all walls and the floor, except for about a 2" band around the top of the walls due to the 3mm high bezel, so at least a 175° beam.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That sounds perfect. Can you quote the item number you bought? I can't tell from the product descriptions I've looked at which ones are designed like yours (though some are obviously not).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

But that seller seems to have nothing for sale now, The photos should let you find a similar one, I daresay they all come off the same production line ...

Reply to
Andy Burns