Moving primary phone socket

Looking for advice about relocating my primary telephone socket (not an extension socket).
I found this discussion, http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/moving-the-main-telephone-point.101068/
and it seems the necessary bits can be acquired readily, (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Anyone here done this? Any good pointers or pitfalls or I-wish-I'd-knowns?
Thanks
--
N_i_c_k

N_i_c_k wrote:

obviously, you're not supposed to do it, but ignoring that as most would ...
Is it moving so the cable will be shortened, lengthened, or neither?

:-)

Shortened, to about 4m. My plan, such as it is, is to throw away the current cable which is about 12m long and replace it with a new one.
There is a sort of junction box where the outside phone cable comes into the house and connects to the cable which goes to the primary socket. So I'd have to disconnect the old cable there, connect mine and route mine to the new or reused socket panel. I'd prefer new so it can be surface mounted, my existing socket has a recess into the wall.
--
N_i_c_k

N_i_c_k wrote:

With screw connections, or jelly crimps?
So long as you use proper CW1308 cable, make sure you don't short anything out while doing it and make a neat job you should be fine, taking a photo before can be helpful.
Andy Burns wrote:

But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random intervals to discourage DIY.
Fred

That's shocking.
--
N_i_c_k

And possibly bollocks?
Tim

Just you wait until someone rings it. Been there, done that.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

MY house had a BT instalation. Then I went to Virgin. The BT underground wire was disconnected in the grey box outside and the wire from the Virgin box was joined to the wire in the box that comes into the house.
I recently replaced the wire as I wanted to reroute it directly to the Virgin box. I have burried the BT box.
Who might I have upset?
DerbyBorn wrote:

Whoever in future wants a BT line connecting; they're likely to pay full whack for a new connection rather than a few quid to reconnect.

When I say "buried", the underground cable still goes to it from a pavement manhole. The grey box was just taken off the wall and put under some decorative pebbles. Virgin were the first to "abuse it" by linking through it. As you suggest though - it won't be my problem unless BT comes up with something to beat my Virgin service.

Easily dealt with , before commencing work contact the operator give them a number and ask to reverse the charges.
G.Harman

I used to have a commercially made device that did just that. It was a 1960s vintage bug detector and destroyer. Not sure how BT would react to its use today.
It had a big red button marked "Destroy" !!!!!
--
Bill
( A different one )

Jelly, like these (Amazon.com product link shortened)

Sounds good - thanks!
--
N_i_c_k

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 20:33:57 UTC+1, N_i_c_k wrote:

Don't use copper-clad aluminium cable, it doesn't comply with CW1308 but is sometimes sold as such.
Use the latest (Mk 3?) filter faceplate.
Owain
On 23/08/2015 22:26, N_i_c_k wrote:

You might find https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/Telephone%20Wiring.htm useful. The only amendment I would suggest is only connect the blue/bluewhite as all modern phones work with two wires, it's only fairly old ones that need the ringing connection (orange/orange white) and that, if installed, can/may be detremental to your broadband speed.
Peter

Yes, the bell wire (orange/orange white) can be removed at the master socket for better performance.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
On Sunday, 23 August 2015 22:28:29 UTC+1, N_i_c_k wrote:

That's the way to do it.
Owain
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:53:14 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Or Copper Clad Steel. The are normally only refered to as CCA or CCS.
--
Cheers
Dave.