Moving primary phone socket

Looking for advice about relocating my primary telephone socket (not an extension socket).

I found this discussion,

and it seems the necessary bits can be acquired readily,

Anyone here done this? Any good pointers or pitfalls or I-wish-I'd-knowns?

Thanks

Reply to
N_i_c_k

obviously, you're not supposed to do it, but ignoring that as most would ...

Is it moving so the cable will be shortened, lengthened, or neither?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Shortened, to about 4m. My plan, such as it is, is to throw away the current cable which is about 12m long and replace it with a new one.

There is a sort of junction box where the outside phone cable comes into the house and connects to the cable which goes to the primary socket. So I'd have to disconnect the old cable there, connect mine and route mine to the new or reused socket panel. I'd prefer new so it can be surface mounted, my existing socket has a recess into the wall.

Reply to
N_i_c_k

With screw connections, or jelly crimps?

So long as you use proper CW1308 cable, make sure you don't short anything out while doing it and make a neat job you should be fine, taking a photo before can be helpful.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But remember that BT put 1kV into the phone cable at random intervals to discourage DIY.

Fred

Reply to
Bill Wright

Jelly, like these

Sounds good - thanks!

Reply to
N_i_c_k

That's shocking.

Reply to
N_i_c_k

And possibly bollocks?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't use copper-clad aluminium cable, it doesn't comply with CW1308 but is sometimes sold as such.

Use the latest (Mk 3?) filter faceplate.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Easily dealt with , before commencing work contact the operator give them a number and ask to reverse the charges.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Thanks - this?

which it looks like is installed in this

?

Reply to
N_i_c_k

Or Copper Clad Steel. The are normally only refered to as CCA or CCS.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You might find

useful. The only amendment I would suggest is only connect the blue/bluewhite as all modern phones work with two wires, it's only fairly old ones that need the ringing connection (orange/orange white) and that, if installed, can/may be detremental to your broadband speed.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Yes, the bell wire (orange/orange white) can be removed at the master socket for better performance.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's the way to do it.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

Just you wait until someone rings it. Been there, done that.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Peter Johnson

Mike Tomlinson wrote in news:YsL1vFQcSu2VFw $ snipped-for-privacy@jasper.org.uk:

MY house had a BT instalation. Then I went to Virgin. The BT underground wire was disconnected in the grey box outside and the wire from the Virgin box was joined to the wire in the box that comes into the house.

I recently replaced the wire as I wanted to reroute it directly to the Virgin box. I have burried the BT box.

Who might I have upset?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I used to have a commercially made device that did just that. It was a

1960s vintage bug detector and destroyer. Not sure how BT would react to its use today.

It had a big red button marked "Destroy" !!!!!

Reply to
Bill

Whoever in future wants a BT line connecting; they're likely to pay full whack for a new connection rather than a few quid to reconnect.

Reply to
Andy Burns