outside light

juat changed the outside light(pir) on my house today .on removing the old one(fitted by previous owner)it was interesting to see 4 diff sections of lighting flex and a fair amount of block connectors had been used just goes to show that there ARE worse than me out there Jeff

Reply to
Mindwipe

A lot worse. Believe me. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

A friend had to rewire father's efforts that had been in place for many years. The father thought he knew electrics because he did something with aircraft in WWII. That probably accounted for an extension being wired with a combination of lighting flex for power and bell wire for the lights!

Reply to
BillR

Funny you should say that, there was a bloke at our church did all the electrics because he had been an "electrician" in the RAF. On later investigation we found some nasty things like earth cores being used for switched live, 5A lighting cable running water heaters from 32A trips etc.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Actually, "lighting cable" is usually 1mm T&E, which is just marginal running a 3kW immersion heater on a 13A fuse. 1.5mm T&E would be good for a

16A radial with plenty in reserve. The only issue is the 32A trip, which is obviously bad.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Christian McArdle writes

Worse than that, it was 0.75mm cable. With several lumps of choc block in it.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Now that is bad!

Christian.