wiring outside light

Just trying to think through the wiring for front door light.

In the hall there will be a 2 gang switch, 1 for hall light and 1 for outside light.

The way it is done in my house is that the live for the outside light switch is taken from the live for the hall light (single wire jumper at back of switch). Is this still OK under 17th edition?

If there are no problems with that the plan would be to have a 4 core cable running from hall light fitting to switch box (L,N,S/L,E), link from hall live to outside light live at back of switch, neutral can then be choccy blocked in back of switch box.

Light will not be PIR so no permanent live needed.

I have read of using FCUs from ring for outside light, but as I am wiring from scratch doesn't seem necessary if I can take everything from the lighting circuit.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

Its ok if the neutral that it uses comes from the same circuit.

Yup, a 3&E from the hall light, and then a T&E off to the outside light carrying neutral and switched live would be fine. While not "conventional" to do much wiring at a switch position (in preference to a ceiling rose or lamp fitting) there are times when it makes more sense and is less disruptive.

You can have a PIR on a switched live if you want. That then gives the choice of Automatic or off (and some PIRs have a facility to lock the light on by switching on, off, and on again in the space of a second or two)

Reply to
John Rumm