Wiring regs question

I have two five amp lighting circuits, notionally upstairs and downstairs but because of a funny house layout they overlap a bit.

I just put in a new stair light circuit and, for convenience, changed a single gang light switch for a two gang one to cover the new circuit. It was only afterwards that I realised that left me with one switch on the "upstairs" circuit and one on the "downstairs", so you need to throw two breakers to ensure that unit is dead.

While I am not going to lose any sleep over this, I guess it might not be compliant with current regs, can anyone confirm? I have a relatively ancient CU with all circuits protected by one RCD so it is fairly safe against isolation failure.

Reply to
newshound

You have exactly the same situation as any place with two way switching of the hall and/or the landing light. So it's a common situation to have two separate circuits at one switch position. So perfectly acceptable from a regs point of view.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have 4 lighting circuits here:

loft

1st floor ground floor outside lighting.

I have a double gang back box in the hall way with 5 switches on it. one is for hall light, one is for landing light and these two switches are on 2 different RCBOs. These two two watch switches are in the left half of the double gang back box.

The right hand half of the back box has 3 switches for 3 outside lights which is on a 3rd RCBO.

I have a mental partition in the middle of the double gang back box to at least mechanically separate the outside lighting wiring from the two indoor lighting circuits.

Reply to
SH

I'm reassured. I've just realised I had the same situation in a previous three floor house, where the middle landing had two way switches for both the stairs going up and the stairs going down. It just seemed counter to a "common sense" view that it's best to have a single isolator for any wiring enclosure.

Reply to
newshound

if they are both on the same phase?

Reply to
charles

That's fine. I would put a label inside the switch box warning that 2 circuits are present.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I have seen three phases in one lighting switch box. It was a mechanical workshop with fluorescent lighting and rotating machines. There was a permanent warning label on the outside. John

Reply to
John Walliker

If you have not "borrowed a neutral" this perfectly normal.

Reply to
ARW