Telegraph Pole

A month or so ago I posted a question about a tube that I had seen at the bottom of telegraph posts. I realied they were on new posts.

I found out today that the tube is to allow BT to put a probe down to ensure that the contractors had made the hole to the correct depth and hadn't trimmed a bit off the bottom of the post if boring the hole was difficult.

Reply to
JohnP

Well of all the things!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

some of the smaller BBC tv relay station use "stout wooden poles" rather than the better known lattice masts. One of these in the west of Scotland blew over the the first winter gales because the contractor had met hard rock after about a foot down and chopped off the bottom 4ft so it was only held in place by the peat. (Fiunary. if anybody cares)

Reply to
charles

charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk:

The guys I spoke to cited a similar instance - with the risk being the man up a ladder working on the wires or equipment.

Keep you eyes peeled - plastic tube with cap stapled to the post. I guess it is a one off audit after instalation.

I have seen a lot of activity with men with clipboards and camera phones around poles that have been equiped with fibre.

Reply to
JohnP

When contractors were working locally replacing old gas pipes, before they backfilled each trench, they dropped in a calibrated depth board and took a photo.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Same here when they were replacing some mains water pipes in the road outside my house, about a year ago. Lots of photos taken at various stages.

Reply to
Davidm

What is to stop them drilling a 20mm hole to put the pipe down a couple of feet below the bottom of the pole?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Roger Hayter snipped-for-privacy@hayter.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I don't know what they put down the tube to check - it could be a borescope that can see the wooden post.

Reply to
JohnP

Yes they need that for accurate mapping for future diggers upperers. so to speak. Incidentally, do they now make telegraph poles of anything other than wood? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

and why are they still called Telegraph poles ?

Reply to
fred

For the same reason Radios are called wireless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Utility Poles"

Reply to
JohnP

because most normal people know what that means (much as they know what is meant by "filmed on a mobile phone"). But there's nothing to stop you using "a tall (often wooden) pole used to carry utility cables"

Reply to
Robin

Well they are wireless (the portable ones at least).

Do people still refer to "steam rollers"?

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, but it's a bastard trying to roll steam.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright