Outside Floodlights

Not IME. We had one in the last house where I mounted the light on the apex of a gable, pointing down into the hard standing in front of the house and had a PIR at just above head height pointed into the same area.

Reply to
Huge

I am also noticing some areas have bylaws to stop light leakage, a so called dark sky policy, so people can see the stars again. I'm all for it myself as obviously, the more you can use the light in the right place the less light will be wasted and presumably if they are designed correctly, less powerful lamps will be needed as well. Everyone wins. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm sure I've seen reflective retrofit baffles to stop this. Seems like a very simple thing to fix. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff formulated the question :

+1

Eyes work surprisingly well, even with just the natural star and moonlight. More light is often unecessary except to compete with high levels of unatural light.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Lights with flat glass panels can use panels of drink can ali.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
8<

I doubt it. I suppose that if enough light shone onto the PIR it might think it was daylight and not re-trigger until the lamp went out. Easy to shade it or turn the light sensitivity down.

Reply to
dennis

A lot of the newer security lights have a reflector surrounding the LEDs which seems to do sod all as the LEDs shine more or less directly forwards, so I'd say masking them out wouldn't alter the beam pattern much ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in news:esf54jFol64U2 @mid.individual.net:

Agree - daft design based on perseptions of what the customer thinks he needs. Mine is about 20 degees up from vertically down and it lights the end of the garden.

Someone should design a light that is optimised for LED and not try to recreate the old Halogen appearance.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We suffer from a couple of "yard" HP sodium lights from a farm the other side of the valley, 3/4 mile away and 300 foot *lower*. Enough light to read by, I kid you not!

Air rifle?

Or do as I must do at some point, go round and explain the problem and maybe offer to help in adjusting the luminairs angle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't have to go in a staright line but keep the rifle in a bag whilst wandering about with it...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A rocket with a long length of snagging wire. Launch to ensure it tangles with the prop and biggles ends up filling his pants before crashing in a ball of flames.

Beware of the fallout as burning fleshly laid shit doesn't smell nice.

Or just homebrew something with a suitable fuse and dispersion pattern to light up the datime sky so he thinks he is in the middle of WW3, after which he fills his pants before crashing in a ball of flames.

Reply to
The Other Mike

En el artículo , Harry Bloomfield escribió:

Have you actually, you know, like, tried /talking/ to them? Radical concept, eh?

They may not even know they're causing you a problem.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson explained on 11/07/2017 :

From the front of the house, I would not be able to identify which one was causing the problem.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A simple problem in trigonometry I would have thought.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher