Disintegrating 13A plug

There was a discussion on here recently about a plug that had succumbed to some kind of plastic fatigue, I would be grateful if someone could point me to it.

Reply to
Graham.

had to search for Poundland ...

Multi socket extension lead - interesting failure mode - Sep'16

Adrian Caspersz

I don't remember that, but have seen this sort of thing myself on very old plugs made of that thin polypropylene stuff around the central screw. They are the bendy ones, often with a red neon inside them.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And I had some of the cheapies from CPC (from a few years ago, natch) go the same way.

Reply to
Scott M

Interesting. Not only have both the trailing socket and the plug obviously become very brittle, but the lead seems to have been wired with a solid-green earth. A very cheap Chinese item not actually conforming to any standards presumably?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've got some connection units made for Hi-Fi, etc. All the sheds sold them at one time. A version of the IEC connector on a wall mounting strip with either 4 or 6 outlets. Much neater than a 13 amp one provided you didn't mind hacking the plugs off your equipment and changing to the supplied ones. And most of the plugs have suffered plastic rot. Luckily, a standard IEC fits, but doesn't look quite so tidy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I had one of those tucked behind the hifi units and wired into an FCU, by the time I came to remove it, the plastic had gone crumbly.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've got several - but oddly only the plugs have suffered. Not like they get hot, either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The screws holding the casing together pull out of the crumbling plastic, most annoying. I fixed a couple by binding the case with insulating tape but I think I've binned them all now.

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks Adrian, looks like a similar plug has turned up on the vintage-Radio.net forum.

Reply to
Graham.