OT: Word?

Bizarre ... does anyone know why some of the time Word suggests a comma before the word 'and' (separating two parts of a sentence), and other times it says it is better without the comma?

Reply to
Scott

If you gave us say 10 example sentences, showing the two types of behaviour ...

Reply to
GB

Am 19/10/2023 um 13:34 schrieb Scott:

Who uses M$ Word any more? Don't we all use Libreoffice nowadays?

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Context, I'd assume, do you have the grammar check turned on by any chance. I hate that feature it makes everyone sound like a banal smart ass. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I dunno about word, but if you have a simple list, the convention is a, b. c and d. But if you have a sort of subordinate clause. Like : "He came with a, b and c, and an ice cream in each hand", you might well use an extra and after a comma.

That's why we were taught to parse sentences, to understand how to break them down into sections and separate them with punctuation in a standard way to avoid ambiguity.

The Blair generation cant talk or write standard English, Its a mumbled mishmash of misplaced singulars and plurals, repetitive constructions and generally sloppy language.

Because teaching correct English is somehow too 'posh' for comprehensive schools

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or comprehensible English. A colleague I once had was so poor at written English that I had to parse each of his sentences several times even to being to extract the meaning.

Reply to
Tim Streater

and also tell us if you have the "Oxford comma" option ticked in Options>Proofing>Writing Style (Grammar) Settings> under "Punctuation conventions".

Reply to
Robin

Thanks. It's 'Writing & Refinements' on mine. I see there are loads of comma options in there. I shall give this careful consideration.

Reply to
Scott