Floating shelf supports

I've cut some scaffold board to fit as shelving in a couple of alcoves. I'd like a floating type support - where you can't see the brackets.

I've managed this with much less substantial wood by cutting a groove in the end of the shelf with a circular saw, then sliding the shelf over some de-headed screws screwed into the wall.

I could try the same arrangement using some bulky screws, but this is slightly complicated by brick walls faced with 40mm of plasterboard and insulation, and the not inconsiderable weight of the shelves and books that'll go on them. Wondering if anyone else has come up with something more elegant . . .

Reply to
RJH

In message <ugrq3l$fpht$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, RJH snipped-for-privacy@gmx.com writes

er. can't you reverse the problem by *hanging* the shelving? Presumably if you are going full width in the alcove you can partially slot the shelf ends and slide them on to some L or T shaped fixings screwed to the side walls. For an intermediate support a thin bracket above the shelf will be hidden by the books.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In an alcove, it is fairly easy to provide hidden support with battens on three sides, and the shelf underside routed or rabbeted to completely house the battens:

John Rumm

Another option for alcoves is to line each alcove side with thin sheet - the shelves sit on the sections of lining.

Reply to
Animal

Thanks - and to the others for suggestions. Think I'll give this method a whirl - seems easiest and most secure.

Reply to
RJH

Well if you are going to be able to hide the mountings, you might as well use those shelves with the back rails that you hook the brackets onto. I have record shelves like this and you really cannot see the vertical supports.

I'd not want to just hang shelves at the ends as over time you start to get sag. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I've used those - very quick/convenient, but not what I want in this situation.

I doubt it/hope not - these are scaffold boards cut to 1m lengths.

Reply to
RJH