OT Winter fuel allowance.

Just had SWMBOs and my Winter fuel check. I don't actually use any fuel. Still, it will come in handy.

Reply to
harry

Think of it as a nearly dead bonus.

Reply to
Bolted

Although less handy than last year's. Personally, as someone who has no need of the supplement, I would support it being subject to a means test, provided that meant that those who really do need it would get more.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Bugger. Do you have to apply? I got a letter and forgot to do anything..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

First time around you do, after which it is automatic. ISTR I eventually remembered to apply around March and still got it for that year.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Did someone come round to check it then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Of course: his cheque was checked by a Czech. Can't get the staff y'know...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What do you heat you house or Power your PC? Baz

Reply to
Baz

If you have no need of it send it back. Means tests are very inefficient and are cruelly unkind on those just above the thresh hold. I favour increasing the benefit by 20% and then making it taxable income.

Reply to
hugh

Interesting - I had a letter a while back telling me they would write to me this month to confirm I was eligible.

Unless the postman is working nights they have missed their target.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

There have been suggestions recently that those who don't have a need for it should pass it on to those who do but where do you draw the line and how do you stop pensioners on modest means who live frugally being conned into passing their winter fuel payment on to those on much higher incomes who fail to live within their means?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

How does one do that?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Send it to :-

Andy Cap PO Box3465 Sussex ;-)

Reply to
Andy Cap

In article , Baz writes

That's a question you ask once and regret when you hear the answer, it's a v sad story.

Reply to
fred

Basically, you can't.

Due to a mix-up last year, SWMBO and I both got paid the full amount. Despite letters and ph Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

With difficulty! Mine isn't a cheque at all - it's a direct transfer into my bank account.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Mine too. I don't even get a notification, just a payment with the reference that is most of my NI number, followed by DWP WFP, which I take to mean Department of Work and Pensions Winter Fuel Payment.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

harry uses the heat genereated by the friction between his right hand and his penis to heat his house.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You can arrange that.

Andy Champ

That's funny. I get a letter every year a few weeks before the payment is supposed to be sent to my bank.

Reply to
Roger Chapman