Lighting Wiki out of date? + dimmable CFLs

I went looking for information on dimmable CFLs - I have just worked out how to take the cover off the slow start dimmable light fitting in the lounge and it has two filament bulbs - and so far haven't found much.

However I did find

"There have been reports of the government seriously intending to ban filament lightbulbs. If this plan goes ahead, there may be compatibility issues with non-filament types of lighting and dimmers. For DIYers this may be a minor matter, most can replace dimmers with switches, but for the less DIY able, hiring an electrician may prove an unwanted expense.

Some are considering stockpiling filament bulbs as a way to circumvent this issue. "

So last year, my dear ;-)

I can also see Google hits for dimmable CFLs - do I assume that if a CFL does not speciffically state that it is dimmable then it isn't? A Wiki update would be most welcome. [I know, DIY.....but I'm not spakryfied enough to update the entry.]

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

yep, cheers it'll get updated.

correct

NT

Reply to
NT

It is a wiki you know. The idea is if you see a problem, you can fix it ;-)

Yup. Conventional CFLs won't dim. There are two types of dimmable cfls... one that dims on a dimmer like a normal bulb, the others are "switch operated" dimmers that respond to certain combinations of on/off cycles on a switch with different discrete brightness changes.

Go on, you know you want to ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm