PA Testing

A regular customer (care home) has asked me to do the PA testing for them (at my normal rates). They have the test equipment.
(They used to have a full time maintenance guy, made redundant, cheaper to get someone like me in as & when needed. I'm finding this more & more often in the current climate).
Anywho, do I need to pay to go on a course to get a piece of paper in order to do so? Quite happy to if necessary, but £80 to £390 for a course??
According to this site; http://www.pat-testing.info /
No specific qualifications are required to under take the PAT testing, rather that they must be competent to do so. However a City & Guilds 2377 - Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, qualification is available. The City & Guilds 2377 course has been designed jointly by the IEE and City & Guilds.
And
The IEE Code of Practice states, those carrying out the inspection and testing must be competent to undertake the inspection and, where appropriate, testing of electrical equipment and appliances having due regard of their own safety and that of others. What should be considered is that the 'danger' to be prevented, includes not just the dangers which may arise during the testing procedure to the tester and others, but also the dangers which may arise at a later date as a result of using equipment which has not been effectively tested.
So, provided I know what I'm doing & understand how the equipment works, do I need the course?

✖
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I'd say definitely, if only to cover you @rse in the unlikely event of something going wrong. If you don't have a piece of paper, the insurance could be very sticky about paying out, which leaves you with lawyers queueing outside your door with papers to serve.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Add pictures here
✖
Although our gear at the talking newspaper studio was done by a bloke from the council and all he had was a checklist and told us nobody needed any qualifications but just the list.
Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
✖
On Nov 30, 8:51 pm, The Medway Handyman wrote:

within calibration? And a check box also within calibration?

If you don't have the piece of paper, how do you prove to the coroner's court that you knew what you were doing?
If you do a lot of rented property maintenance, agents are increasingly keen on PAT testing too.
Owain
Add pictures here
✖
Owain wrote:

I've never seen anyone with a check box. But the test instrument should have a current calibration cert.

Doing it professionially, yes, I would agree. I did the course a few years back with the IEE in London (now the IET).
[To Dave:]
Sadly the IET has decided to stop running courses.
The one you want is:
PAT testing - City and Guilds 2377-22 "Certificate of Competence for the Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment"
http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/2377-22-pat+testing+course
(Gatwick) but there are loads offering this course - I would not be surprised if you couldn't find one in or around Maidstone.
300 odd quid is typical for the course and the exam - typically 2 days plus sometimes an extra half day for the exam.
The exam is straighforward - if you can wire stuff up and grok Ohm's Law, you are pretty much home and dry. The Inspection and Testing Guide Book (the "rules" so to speak) is a very thin tome and can be read in an hour or two.
This could be a worthy addition to your skillset as the instrument can be had for a few hundred (anywhere from 300 to 3000 depending, but unless you want to test a massive company with computer uploads and much automation, a basic tester does fine - you just have to record everything manually). It would be fine for small companies and renta-house type testing which could be a cushty number if you can build up a contract base of Letting Agents.
Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Watts

Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 30, 10:06 pm, Tim Watts wrote:

Mid Kent College do it.
The places which also sell PAT testers (sorry about the tautology but I keep reading the subject line as written as Public Address Testing) are perhaps more likely to have a wider selection of testers to play with and decide what sort you like than a tech college
Owain
Add pictures here
✖
Owain wrote:

Seaward testers are a pretty decent brand.
--
Tim Watts

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:23:24 -0800 (PST)

Not being familiar with the current terminology, and having recently returned from the US where 'PA' is used instead of the English term 'Tannoy', that is what I thought the original thread message was referring to. Then I wondered why there was so much involved in testing it. Now all is clear. I can put away my earplugs now. Thanks. -- Davey.
Add pictures here
✖

TMH was correctly avoiding the Portable Appliance Testing testing error cf PIN number error.
Unfortunately these acronyms were chosen badly as they don't stand well on their own without the extra ref.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Tannoy is not so much an "older term", simply a brand name. It's like using 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaner or 'biro' for ballpoint pen.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16
✖

Indeed. But it came about because Tannoy was the main player in the UK - remember the speakers with Tannoy in fretwork as the grill? These days they are a Chinese company making 'Hi-Fi' stuff only, as far as I know.

Hoover is still used - but biro? Most just say pen these days.
--
*My dog can lick anyone

✖
On 01/12/2011 11:18, Davey wrote:

Sorry, pet hate. Normally referred to as PAT Testing - which actually mean Portable Appliance Testing Testing IYSWIM.

✖
On 30/11/2011 22:06, Tim Watts wrote:

Not sure the figures add up TBH.
Assuming I did a course @ £300, I'd lose 2 days takings - at least £300, then bought a £400 tester - I'm down a grand.
Thats a lot of tests @ £1 a pop.

✖

Your mind would go numb. I was close to doing it, and took/passed the course. Then I went to a job interview and was put off. They were paying 50p per item tested, and expecting speed, accurate serial number records and no mistakes. I didn't fancy the idea of accidently frying meself trying to achieve management expectations, and attempting for bonuses by basically conning people.
I'm now getting spammed by companies trying to sell me the testing gear :-(
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 19:56:28 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

Working backwards from £10/hr 50p/item is 20 items or 3 minutes each. Can't see how you can log serial numbers, do the label, do a decent visual inspection, inc fuse/plug and do the test properly in that time.
Just reinforces my view that most PA testing is just a paper exercise to cover peoples arses.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 21:40:53 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

ISTR that in the early days the going rate was between £20 and £30 per item.

Indeed. A bit like "risk assessments."
--
Frank Erskine

Add pictures here
✖

There's no point at all in being an employee PAT tester, just as you describe.
One problem locally is that most PAT testers (and those with the shiniest business cards) are people who a few years back were flogging financial services or herbalife pills. It's a classic business where a grand's investment gets you set up, even if you have no basic understanding of the practicalities of what you're looking for.
The best I've met was a 60 year old bloke who'd been kicked out for early retirement. The worst wouldn't remove plugs to check connections, as it would break her nails.
Add pictures here
✖
The Medway Handyman wrote:

That's what happens when you are self employed.
That's why I do not PAT test. And you can get get it done for 75 pence per item if you have a lot of items to test.
--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
✖
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Take five or six tests on average for a furnished property, that's either a couple of hundred properties or four a week to get your grand back in a year. Or a couple of dozen B&B places or small hotels with two or three tests per room, testing once a year.
Would it be as little as a pound a pop, though?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Add pictures here
✖
On 01/12/2011 20:05, John Williamson wrote:

I think you mean 'as much as'.
Seen it for 60p.

✖