Testing electrical installations

Not looking for a "gospel" answer here, but I'm no expert and looking to validate some info I've been given.

I'm responsible for the activities of the estates manager at the place I work at, and have been advised that our "electrical installation testing" is out of date.

For commercial premises, what is (or what is the source of?) the requirement to have electrical installations tested?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to drop in their tuppence - I appreciate not a DIY question, but I know many here are very knowledgeable and can point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

It will depend entirely on the nature of installation and what it's used for. Also it's age may come into play, particularly if it's old, and how often it's modified.

For installations in new/good condition, something like 5 years for a full power-down test, plus some intermediate visual inspections, including thermal imaging if your load is > 100kVA. However, if you have things like swimming pools, then those would demand more frequent testing.

Also, don't forget appliance testing (commonly called PAT testing). Someone in your position should take the C&G 2377-01 course and hold the certificate (only takes a day) which covers management of PAT testing. You might as well do C&G 2377-02 too, which is the actual PAT testing (usually runs on a consecutive day), even if you end up contracting it out (you're still responsible for it and ensuring your contractors are compitent to undertake it, which many aren't).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Cheers - we've got PAT testing under control! Funny you should mention swimming pools.....

Matt

Reply to
larkim

The Health and Safety Executive offer free advice, although you may need to do a little looking to find what applies to your specific case.

ask them to come around and have a look. You may get brownie points for inviting them in and you will get free, unbiased advice. The only downside is that they have the power to insist that you do certain things if they think them necessary up to and including taking anything dangerous out of use immediately. However, anyone genuinely concerned about safety would want to do those things anyway.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

As posted, certain facilities impose special requirements re livestock (horses), swimming pools etc.

One thing I would add #1 the best testing regime includes visual inspection rather than just meters, #2 those doing inspecting & maintenance can have a conflict of interest. Put the two together and you get the remunerative work done first whilst howling errors remain undetected.

Eg, Insulation Resistance tests may pass cable where all insulation has rotted off but the conductors sufficiently spaced remain insulated by air. That is a lot more common than you think :-)

Reply to
js.b1