City & Guilds 2392-10: Certificate In Fundamental Inspection, Testing And Initial Verification

If i go to an evening class nearby and pass the assessment of

City & Guilds 2392-10: Certificate In Fundamental Inspection, Testing And Initial Verification

would I be a competent person to rewire my house?

It starts next tuesday...

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Probably competent to rewire but not to test and certificate. You have to be part of the leccy mafia for that. I nearly fell for that one till someone on this group put me right.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Peter Scott coughed up some electrons that declared:

Given the title of the C&G I would have said the other way around.

"Competent" does not imply "Registered" (and in a small number of cases, the other way around).

I did a 4-day VRQ in domestic installation to make my BCO happy to take my EIC. The only other qualification that would be relevant is C&G 2382 IMO.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

When I raised this some time back, it was the general opinion that simple doing and passing the course, without being a professional electrician, would not qualify me to sign off an installation or major alteration.

Does anyone else have experience of this?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Peter Scott coughed up some electrons that declared:

Peter,

There are only two initial routes to signing off an installation for Part P purposes.

1) Be registered with a competent person's scheme, eg NICEIC, NAPIT et al... I was told I'm now qualified to join the NICEIC, but I would be expected to get a 2382 within a year *and* I couldn't self-certify until I've had, I think its 2 jobs personally assessed. No point for me anyway. 2) Use the LABC route. Here it's the BCO who does the final sign off. It's up to the BCO to decide how he becomes happy enough to sign something off (nothwithstanding government directives and his boss's policies) - and this is where there is *much* divergance. Mine said get a PIR or be qualified. I chose the latter, and to this end I must furnish him with my EIC. Some won't even believe a qualified sparky with 30 years of experience, some will arrange for a test, some want you to pay for a test.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Right that explains it. There's no way to know if your local person will accept you unless you ask. That is very worth people knowing. Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Scott