OT: which headsets work under Win7 Pro 32?

My Plantronics DSP-400 headset worked perfectly with XP. The win7 compatibility checker said that it will work BUT, although it installs and windows reports that it is OK, Skype and go2meeting say that it isn't working. I presume it's time to spend some money but there seem to be lots of people on fora complaining that various headsets don't work with Win7; which ones do work?

Reply to
Nospam

I'm using a Lidl Silvercrest USB headset on W7, Skype is working fine.

Reply to
grimly4

Do they work at all? Have you tried ye olde Windows "Sound Recorder"? You might find it is something as simple as having to select an odd looking device from the list of inputs/outputs.

FWIW we have a number of Plantronics USB headsets here and they work find with Win 7 - but I didn't install them so I can't say what was done to ensure they worked.

P.S. Maplin sell foam earpiece covers in various sizes in case you ever need replacements.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

I have one here working on Vista 32. The O/S whinged when it was first installed but the advice was to ignore the complaints. I will test it on my W7 64 bit and get back to you.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

O.K. - installed straight away and worked.

4 items tried to install - two of them named Plantronics Headset. The first 3 installed O.K. but the second instance of Plantronics Headset failed.

Volume mixer shows that both the headset and microphone work. I suspect that the extra control on the lead (mute and +/- volume) may be the one failing but haven't tested this.

Just re-read your post, and went back and checked on Skype. Skype reported that new devices had been found, and asked if they should be used. I said yes and the microphone and headphones work fine. Possibly the Plantronics devices have been disabled for Skype at first prompt?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Thanks Dave (and others). I just rang Plantronics and they said that old DSP400s don't work on Win7 and that new ones do; mine is 4+ years old so it counts as an old one. This morning I had a 2 hour call so used an old analogue Logitech headset and was surprised at how good it was. I could be persuaded to spend money on a new one if there was something that was wirelessly connected and had a decent battery life, but otherwise I might stay with the analogue one.

Reply to
Nospam

All I can say is "They lie!!!!" Mine is well over 4 years old - I've worn out one set of foam covers (well, they rotted). I think I bought mine well before 2005 and had them working on Win2K. So mine get grumbled at under Vista and W7 but they still work.

Reply to
David WE Roberts