Phone headsets

Not quite DIY although I will be plugging it in myself!

Has anyone tried any of the cordless headsets that can handle multiple phones? (wired and bluetooth). Any recommendations?

What I am looking for is something that will give a comfortable telecomms style headset (with headband and boom mic preferably), and can work with both an office phone that has a socket for a headset, and also a mobile via bluetooth. So ideally I can pick up one headset and answer either phone, while not being tied to the desk via a wire.

Reply to
John Rumm

A third option is a DECT-capable headset if your office-phone system can have a DECT base station added into it. That'd be more versatile than a headset that only works with the office phone if you plug it into the latter.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

So you need a Bluetooth headset device that can be actively paired to two different things, one being your mobile the other Anne Adapter for the socket on the office phone. I expect you can get the latter but I think the stumbling block will be a headset that can be actively paired to two things at the same time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Those are not too difficult to find. Then I would in effect need an adaptor that can plug into the headphone socket on the wired phone to make it look like a bluetooth phone...

Reply to
John Rumm

That's possibly missing both the problems I am trying to solve though... ;-)

I have a wired headset on the ordinary phone and it works well, with the exception of the wire is forever getting caught up in stuff, and it limits mobility when on the phone - like if you need to reach for a book from a shelf without pulling the phone off the desk etc.

I then have the problem of when people ring my mobile when I am in the office - if that then leads to me needing to use my computer at the same time, I don't have an effective / comfortable way of doing it other than by ringing them back from the land line.

(Mobile coverage here is patchy - if the phone is near the window it works ok. If used sat at my desk, the voice drops out. Standing however restores normal operation!)

Reply to
John Rumm

... but only if you're within reach of it. The idea of a DECT- & Bluetooth- capable headset, if they exist, is that while wearing it you could be anywhere in the office area, and maybe further afield, and answer calls to either the landline or mobile without having to go back to the desk.

I don't know if such things exist.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

OK, I know Bluetooth things can have lots of pairs setup but can you have two pairs active at the same time so you can answer a call from either phone without have to faff about selecting the correct pairing? I think Bluetooth is point to point, there is no point to multipoint. I don't know, so could be wrong.

Quick google shows that in effect a landline phone with Bluetooth are available but they are £100 ish... Can you setup a pairing from headset to headset or does it have to be phone to headset for the profiles to work? If HS to HS works hacking a cheap one to connect into the wired phone would be a POP.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They do (at a price)[1], but I was hoping someone had tried one to comment on the actual use.

Reply to
John Rumm

I use a Plantronics model ...very good

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Which one?

Many of the posher Plantronics and Jabra ones seem to have stuff I don't need like USB interfaces to use for soft phones etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Have the land line redirected to the Mobile and use Bluetooth ?? Baz

Reply to
Baz

headset, and

That's not a bad idea but depending on the LL tariff might be the expensive option and hasn't Mr Rumm said the mobile coverage isn't good or was that another thread?

Diverting the mobile (using inclusive minutes...) to the LL and having a DECT or Bluetooth headset would be workable. Poor coverage for the mobile here means that is what I do also removes most of the horrible delay and appauling voice quality that mobiles have (unless called from a mobile).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, could do that, but then I am paying for every call I receive to be redirected at "phoning a mobile" rates...

Reply to
John Rumm

Its flaky - but normally if the phone is left on the correct corner of the desk, it get s a signal ;-)

Not got any inclusive mins...

Indeed - I much prefer to not use mobiles unless I have to for that very reason.

Reply to
John Rumm