OT: which 26" telly to buy?

The same reason as you used one...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

't appear to have any channel numbers on it - like pretty well every TV I've ever seen. Or a volume control. Again, like pretty well every TV I've ever seen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bearing in mind that the iPhone does have dedicated volume buttons - indicating that even some Apple designers believe them to be fundamental to a media device.

Cheers, Tim

-- Tim Watts

Reply to
Tim Watts

Where was that?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning?

It has channel select, volume control and the ability to select channel by number using Eye TV / Front Row.

If you want a giant remote control those are available too.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Is that all wimmin or just wimmin of a certain age? eg My parent needed a new TV my Mother says "thats too big" My girlfriends parents want a new TV and her mother says "that huge we don't need one that big"

But, any female aged 30 or under complains if the screen is less than 32"

IMHO

And why do divorced men claim to live in a bachelor pad? Is that possible?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well, it's mostly my wife but also my daughter who hounds her husband over the giant (and I do mean FoB) plasma TV that hangs in their sitting room. My wife refuses to have any TV larger than 26" in the house and bitterly complains that even a 15" screen is "too large".

Unlike SiL I just can't be arsed to argue and a 26" screen is about right for our living room. It will also go inside a bookcase (with doors that can be closed to hide the techno-mess).

Yeah probably all much of a generation. Daughter may simply have been educated by mummy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No. I'm my usual happy self.

Have you costed it against an equivalent TV?

And I assume you have a second one for when the family wants to watch TV, and you need to use the computer?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try reading your paragraph above. It contains three.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"about right" is a good measurement.

Have a look at the table in this link

a police cell needs a minimum of 26" acording to that link!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sounds like my SIS. And then complains she can't read the text on it. Mind, she's also deaf. To the point where she uses the subtitles. If she can read them - which I doubt, because they're on and off all evening. But denies there's anything wrong with her hearing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , John Stumbles writes

If you are looking for computer inputs, I've a LG Monitor/TV that is used as both a Monitor and TV, screen for the Wii etc., that has a variety of inputs (VGA/DVI/HDMI/Scart/Component)

Mine is 24 inch, but they do a 27 inch as well it seems.

Sound, as others have said is pretty rubbish though, ours is set up to feed the sound out via the headphone port to the 'computer speakers', so everything connected goes via those.

Reply to
chris French

No, I'm not bothered by the costs. Hang on:

The last time I bought an iMac it cost £1400.

It's not possible to get any TV with an equivalent resolution, but the closest in terms of 1080p sets seems to cost about £1200.

The iMac includes a Blu Ray DVD player/recorder (£233), PVR (£300 for one with 1TB), online movie rental (not sure what that costs on any consumer device, £50 seem reasonable?), internet (again not sure if that costs extra on a TV, but most can't do it) etc.

So, yes all in all I think it's favourable on price and the iMac looks as good as any B&O TV and unlike B&O it actually works. Oh and the Beovision which is a fairly crappy TV costs £6000 so the iMac looks like a bargain to me.

I have so many of the things that I'm falling over them. But in general the hours of use are not overlapping. And of course it's possible to timeshift in the background while working on something else. That's what I'm doing at the moment.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It contains none. I suggest that you are knee-jerking in response to something imagined and not intended. If you are offended on behalf of the small number of my close friends who are sad-sack divorcees living in squalid bedsits as a consequence of messy divorces then I admire your public spirit, but it still doesn't make the statments an ad hominem.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hells teeth, being realistic about it, every room in the UK house is

15ft square (length of standard Georgian oak beam) so that table seems to suggest that I need a TV between 46 and 112 inches. Wife would murder me and dance about on my grave if I tried that.

It doesn't go up to the size of rooms in the forrin house - the sitting room is 10 metres long.

Oddly enough wife is in tune with my suggestion that we use my projector for watching movies in forrin. I bought it for use when I do lecture tours of companies. I find it better to have my own projector + remote so I don't have to worry about incompatibility between my laptop and their kit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , The Other Mike scribeth thus

This in the shop I was originally referring to was nothing at all to do with the effects of marginal DTV RF signal level's....

Reply to
tony sayer

Our TV can pause and rewind live broadcasts, record from it's internal tuners for later playback, has built in iPlayer, can access a DLNA server over it's ethernet connection and has (limited) access to streams from the internet.

A TV is no longer just a RF based receiver and display unit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would please some people:-)

What's this metre that you speak of? Is it forrin speak?

As long as you do not watch Steel Magnolias I have no problem.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In Broadcasting it was always thus.

IIRC the original(mono) sound-in-syncs had a capability of sending 2x

10 bit (companded) samples per active TV line period equating to a bandwidth of 15.625 Hz. a level of performance "way better" than that of studio origination equipment of the time such as Audio tapes, grams, and film sound circa 1965.

Admittedly this was part of the distribution chain of which notionally you need to have one, not millions as per reciever sets. But then again oi Polloi don't maintain the same standards as Steve.

My (LCD Telly) works fine.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.

It may depend on the LCD technology in use. A few years ago I bought a Dell screen to go with my Mac Mini. Bloody good. Couple of years later, I managed to persuade SWMBO that we needed a Mini *each*. The Dell screen I bought to go with that, I didn't pay attention and got one with cheaper technology. Result is that the viewing angle is worse, and if I move a window with text in it then the text goes purple while the window is moving. I've got used to this because typically I sit close in front of it, so the above inherent defects don't bother me.

Reply to
Tim Streater