Which Router to Buy?

I'd like advice/comments on which router kit I should buy. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the Bosch 1617EVSPK or the new Porter-Cable 895PK sets. However, comments on other brands or models are welcome.

Also, I will be using the router with a router table (benchtop size), so I am also interested in what is the best router/table combo. (I don't think that I want to go the shaper table route, at this time).

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice!

Reply to
John Q Public

From the reviews I've read, you'll be happy with either. I have neither, so I can't comment directly.

If this is your first venture into routers and router tables, I say start by building a simple table. A 5 sided box, with a hole in the middle to the fit the router's base plate, plus a few straight pieces of wood to be clamped to the top as fences. Use this setup to figure out how you will be using the router, and then you can decide what features you need for the next table you build. You may find the 5 sided box is enough.

I'm still using my 5 sided box table, but I've got the plans for Norm's router table, and I'm now starting to think about what changes I want to make to the plans before I start building it.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

Mike..........

I built Norm's router table last spring. It was the first router table I ever built (and the first shop talbe I ever built). One thing I did was to make the top thicker than what was called out in the plans (1

1/2" mdf). This added better stability to the top and the table and provided a thicker base for the insert plate. I also upgraded the design of the adjustable feet on the bottom of the table, since the table was now heavier and the design in the plans did not 'look' stable enough for the weight it was carrying.

Hope this is helpful.

Jerry

Mike Alexander wrote:

Reply to
JAW

Don't think you can go wrong either way and I think most people would give the Bosch the nod. For me, I'll stick with the Porter Cable due to the fact that almost any after market product seems to be designed to fit them first.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

I don't have either set but I have bought several PC products that I have not been happy with. I am done with PC. The only thing I have from PC that I like is a 7518. I had 7529 and it was a general pain in the ass to use. I sold it for $50 and bought a DeWalt. I had a 333 sander that fell apart. When you pay for premium products and get junk, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

You might consider DeWalt's kit.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Thanks for the comments & advice! I'll post again once I decide and make the purchase.

(Please Do Not Send Email to This Address--It Will Not be Read....)

Reply to
John Q Public