Mortising Router Jig

Anyone use the Leigh Mortise & Tenon jig?

It looks cool but at $850 I am not sure it's THAT cool.

I saw what appears to be a similar product by Trend Routing Technology for $299.

You can see the Trend product at

I am sure it is not as good as the Leigh but appears pretty good for the price.

I am wondering if a jig like this might be a better choice than a dedicated mortiser.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Rob

This month's (Feb. 04/Issue 168) issue of Fine Wooddorking has a review of the Leigh along with four others. They have video on the Leigh on their Web page.

article gives the Leigh and all the others pretty high marks.

Fine Wooddorking lists it at $689 from Lee Valley.

Maybe you might want to look at this month's (Feb. 04/Issue

139) issue of Popular Wooddorking. Nick Engler has an article on a horizontal router table with an X-Y table for making joints. Looks a little more useful than the Trend and probably way cheaper onna 'count of you supply the baltic birch and fabrication time. The rest of the magazine this month looks good so I wouldn't hesitate plunking down the cash for this one.

Typically anything from Leigh is worth the money though I have a hard time spending so much for something dedicated to one thing.

For the money I would also look at the General International mortiser but that's just me. I believe it's the 75-075. The General doesn't cut tenons so maybe you would be better off with a Leigh, or any of the other offerings.

Just what I said above.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Well, I think it's capabilities are much more than a regular dedicated mortiser, at least for production work.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I got mine a couple months ago...before the price increase from highlands hardware

My main justification is the need to build a couple pieces of furniture this year but my shop is small (actually I don't have a shop and everything is hauled out onto the driveway before I use it). Most of my tools must be of a size and weight that I can pick it up and put it on a shelf.

The jig is truely w>Anyone use the Leigh Mortise & Tenon jig?

Reply to
william kossack