OT: which 26" telly to buy?

Correct answer of course is "none" coz the pictures are better on the radi^H^H^Hwireless, but what's the *next* best to get?
Theres a Logik (who they?) L26DIGB10 for Β£200 http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/logik-l26digb10-26-hd-ready-lcd-tv-04439943-pdt.html?srcid †7&xtor=AL-89&istCompanyIdΎc25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=mrqqptx&istBid=t which has VGA, and claims to have a double tuner (why?) 800:1 contrast 100W power consumption (doesn't say what it uses on standby)
SAMSUNG LE26B350 Β£200 at Richer Sounds http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le26b350/sams-le26b350 Doesn't say anything about contrast ratio Computer "can be plugged in" (does that mean VGA? or only HDMI?)
LG 26LD350 Β£240 http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/26ld350-inch-real-cinema-p-102248.html?%3CosCsid%3E
Panny TX-L26X20B for Β£230 at Richer Sounds, allegedly http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/panasonic/viera-txl26x20/pana-txl26x20 or Β£250 http://www.comet.co.uk/p/LCD-TVs/buy-PANASONIC-TX-L26X20B-LCD-TV/639460?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Feed-_-_LCD_TVs-_-639460_PANASONIC_TX-L26X20B&_ $ja=tsid:8360|cc:|prd:TX-L26X20B|cat:_LCD_TVs Claims it can vary brightness to suit the ambient light level. Claims a 50,000:1 contrast ratio! Takes an SD card and plays stills and videos (presumably some limited range of codecs) No VGA port :-( Though Richer Sounds' site says 'yes' to 'can a computer be plugged in' - though they don't say what that means (e.g. via HDMI port only). 53Watts running/0.4W standby
Looks like the Panny is the beast to go for - ?
--
John Stumbles

Teenagers: tired of being harassed by your stupid parents? Act now! -
βœ–
says...

Dunno, but our Evesham developed a vertical stripe near one edge[1] shortly after the guarantee ran out. Though Evesham have gone bust anyway.
[1] Close enough that a miser like me won't yet replace it.

βœ–
says...

And another thing - why are they all shiny black? Go into most retailers and there's a great sea of glass black, with the occasional pink one for the girlies.
Far too dark and oppresive for our room. I resprayed ours a rather natty two-tone with silver and metallic grey. Looks a lot less obvious in the room now. Perhaps that's what people want - a telly that shouts "LOOK AT ME. I'm VAST!"

βœ–

So now when you watch TV you're constantly distracted by a screen surround that demands attention?
Give me black over grey, silver, pink or any other colour any day.
Tim

Add pictures here
βœ–
@yahoo.co.uk says...

I find a dense black rectangle round the screen very obtrusive. And since the telly's off more than it's on, downright ugly the rest of the time.

βœ–
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:26:48 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:

When I was looking at TVs about 3 months ago, I found black a surroud too much of a 'hard edge' between TV and room. The Sammy LED job has a black surround for the screen then, outside that, there's a transparent acrylic(?) border of about 10mm and that really softens the impact.
BTW, the Sammy from Richer Sounds is getting a bit old now; C is (was) current for '10 so I assume that B was '09.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
John Stumbles wrote:

Having recently been through the process of choosing a new TV, I suggest you have a study of the reviews of your candidate TVs on the Amazon website.
Don't forget to check up on the sound quality, after all you listen to the TV as well as watching it.
Comments and my offspring's experience suggest that the sound on some Panasonics can leave something to be desired - as a result some people add a simple audio system fed via the HDMI sockets.
Choosing a TV these days is a bit fraught.
TF
Add pictures here
βœ–

The quest to get ever thinner boxes has meant the built-in speakers also get smaller. I have a 22inch Sharp LED tv in the kitchen and the sound can only be described as worse than a tinny transistor radio of the 80's. The picture of course is excellent. It does have one HDMI socket though and if there was an easy way to provide an external speaker system that switched on only when the tv was on, I would buy it.
To the OP, I think the power consumption is better on the LED's rather than the LCD's, but you may get a better deal on the latter as it seems most retailers are heavily discounting them. Try and get a 5 year warranty because if the tv goes t**s up after a couple of years you may as well bin it.
Dave.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The quest to get ever thinner boxes has meant the built-in speakers also get smaller. I have a 22inch Sharp LED tv in the kitchen and the sound can only be described as worse than a tinny transistor radio of the 80's. The picture of course is excellent. It does have one HDMI socket though and if there was an easy way to provide an external speaker system that switched on only when the tv was on, I would buy it.
To the OP, I think the power consumption is better on the LED's rather than the LCD's, but you may get a better deal on the latter as it seems most retailers are heavily discounting them. Try and get a 5 year warranty because if the tv goes t**s up after a couple of years you may as well bin it.
Dave.
LEDs are LCD. It is just that the illumination behind the LCD panel is an LED array rather than a discharge type tube arrangement. (Power will be low as well)
Unfortunately manufacturers are hoping that people will 'upgrade' in the expectation that LED is radically different. There is no such thing as a domestic "LED" TV - only LED Backlight LCD TV.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...

Yet. They're coming, but not here yet.

βœ–
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 20:22:12 -0000, John wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ...

There's a thing called a "Lime" plug that you can get (sometimes for free, I've ordered one for my old mum) that learns your TVs remote control power on/off code. Then when you turn your TV on or off, the Lime thingy switches on everything that's connected to its mains outlet. It's designed as a power saver, but is crippled by only having one single mains outlet. You'd have to supply your own 2 or 4 way extension to simultaneously switch on external speakers as well as your TV.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/272010121511052698.php

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 27 Dec,

Wrong (well partly)

You can get a 14" (o)led TV from one of the far east manufacturers. However it costs something like £2500 Scaling that up to a 42" screen would need a mortgage.
FWSE... They have come down in price, but not up in size:
<http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&expIds 259,24472,27147,27732&sugexp=gsihc&xhr=t&q=oled+tv&cp=4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid#79178529739231237&ei=ARsZTe6DEYW5hAfNlY23Dg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved DgQ8wIwAw#>
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

<http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&expIds 259,24472,27147,27732&sugexp=gsihc&xhr=t&q=oled+tv&cp=4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid#79178529739231237&ei=ARsZTe6DEYW5hAfNlY23Dg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved DgQ8wIwAw#>
I knew that - which is why I used the word "domestic" to imply commonly available - in the context of the OPs posting. LED TV is not commonly available - TVs labelled as such are LCD with LED backlighting.
Add pictures here
βœ–

We've go TV sets which are "HD-Ready" - yet no matter what type of TV aerial you plug into them, can't can receive HD television.
We've got "LED" TV sets, where the only function of the LEDs is to illuminate an 'old-technology' LCD screen.
Well, no one can say that the English language isn't 'flexible'.
--
Ian

Add pictures here
βœ–

But presumably will give HD pictures from a bluray or whatever? So that begs the question as to how you'd like it described?
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

βœ–

As you know well, Dave, it's a question of "in 2010, what is a 'TV' set"!
--
Ian

Add pictures here
βœ–

Pretty well the same as for the last 30 odd years. For viewing 'off air' and your own choice of either bought or hired movies etc via an external player.
I can't see it ever being the norm to use the main living room TV as a display for a computer - even although I do have this here. But the computer is basically used as an extension of a video recorder.
--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

βœ–
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 20:22:12 +0000, John wrote:

One of those trailing blocks with a master and several slave sockets, which powers up the slaves when the master draws power, might do the trick. (More commonly used for PCs + peripherals which would have much the same characteristic of the PC drawing minute amount of power when 'off'.)
--
John Stumbles

Teenagers: tired of being harassed by your stupid parents? Act now! -
βœ–
Dave Starling wrote:

I'm fairly sure the offspring's audio setup goes this, inasmuch as it comes out of 'standby' automatically.
They are due round tomorrow evening so I'll ask about the details.
TF
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:33:06 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

Yes our 42" panny plasma has OK sound, but no reall bass. Bought a Onkyo HTX22 stand alone 5.1 system to go with it, much better. B-)
Surprisingly the automatics on it work pretty well. Pop a disc into the Blu-ray and if everything is is standby the telly and speakers power up and select the right inputs. Switch to off air telly, the speakers switch to the ARC on the HDMI connection to get off air sound and 5.1 on the HD channels. Put the TV into standaby and everything else goes into standby.
Every maker has their own name for the control signals carried over the HDMI connection panny but at the basic level they should all inter-operate. Audio Reverse Channel (ARC) in HDMI is fairly new, part of the HDMI 1.4 spec IIRC. Older implimentations of HDMI might not have it and not all HDMI ports support it, our panny has 4 HDMI inputs but only one has ARC.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here