OT where to buy domestic appliances

Nope. Saying that, when I bought our Miele dishwasher they were within

15quid of anyone else anyway. This included online retailers.

the details.

Again, not any more.

Cost me 7 (or was it 9?) quid to have the old, dead dishwasher removed. Well worth it IMHO - they made sure that they wiped up the water that they spilt out of the old machine and then unpacked and took all the packaging away (after checking we didn't want it). I seem to remember it was a bit more if the item to be removed was a fridge (again, fair enough IMHO).

To be honest, I don't find that a major problem. Always seems to be plenty of us common folk kicking around the Bluewater branch.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Ah.

There's an extra disposal charge on refrigeration equipment, perhaps ? I think I would have paid 7 or 9 quid to get my old washing machine dragged up the cellar steps and out the side door, but it was free at the time.

Us common folk can hold our own inside, but it rather annoys one to have to navigate around the dictator-mobiles parked badly all over the hatched areas, disabled spots and trolley zones, and then dodge the ones clambering over the double yellows(*) to stop on the pavement immediately outside the revolving doors while walking in, what.

(*) Can be seen doing this at doors-open-minus-three-minutes even when perfectly good spaces are available 20 yards away...

:-}

Reply to
John Laird

Not any more. £7 to take away an old cooker.

Me too.

When we repeatedly got the wrong sink delivered, due to incompetence at the manufacturer (the packaging was wrongly labelled), a kitchen salesperson from JL in Milton Keynes drove to the warehouse, unpacked sinks until he found the right one, then drove here with it and delivered it in person. I'd like to see that from an Internet shed.

My experience of buying things off the Internet is that I'm very lucky if the couriers can find our house, and I normally end up having to collect stuff from their depot.

I've never noticed.

Reply to
Huge

If you buy something 2 years old you can go much more upmarket for the same money, or in fact half the money, at most. And there are no guarantees to mess about with: its all very well getting a guarantee but when it comes to using it they can easily prove to be a right pain and not worth a monkeys away. With a used machine you accept upfront that there will be the odd dud, and go out and get a replacement with no further messing about. This is less hassle than dealing with guarantees, less money, and you get good quality goods at less than even cheap new goods prices.

Take the hotpoint 5 year parts guarantee for example: only covers parts, and only if you pay them to do the repair. Paying someone else to supply and repair is cheaper, thus making the gtee worthless.

Place to get such goods is the local paper, Loot etc, cost is way less, and delivery is same day. The caveat is you need to know how to check out what youre buying.

Drawback is you need to go get it yourself, as opposed to phoning a shop, and what you want isnt always available. But when it is, it simply makes far more sense - unless you have the money to just call the local shop and order the best there is over the phone.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton