Plumbing requirements for dishwashers

We've never had a dishwasher, and are thinking of putting one in as part of the new kitchen.

The closest candidate spot to the sink is about 2.5m away, and round a corner. Do I need to run rigid waste pipe, or will most dishwashers pump that far, or do they vary? I can't find much info on manufacturers' sites.

Also any thoughts on makes/models? I'm off the idea of Bosch white goods after my experiences with our current w/machine.

TIA

Reply to
Grunff

We have an AEG 50705i (I think) which is extremely quiet and performs as well as any other I've used. If I were to replace it I would either get another AEG or a Miele.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

They vary. In a similar circumstance, I used solvent weld overflow pipe to go round under the units and up into the sink unit, where it goes into the sink waste. This particular dishwasher advertised that it could pump out to a waste outlet well above it and had something to stop the waste running back into the machine when the pump switches off -- that's not universal by any means.

I've tended to go for cheap ones, mainly because at the time that's all I could find to fit in the available space. Had no problems with a Creda (must be nearly 15 years old and still going) or Hommark (3 years old and still going). I know a couple of people with IKEA/Whirlpool ones too, and except for one duff one which somehow got delivered without having made it to the end of the production line (lots of parts missing including all water seals and several hoses), they've had no problems.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Until recently, we'd have had a dishwasher either (apart from the human kind!) and we got a ... Bosch! Not sure the exact model, but it was AAA rated and so far seems to do exactly what it says on the tin. We liked it because you can take the top tray and arm out and fit a different water whizzer doo-dah for washing tall stuff like oven pans and so on.

We only run it usually once every 2-3 days though, I don't know what they'd be like in a busy house with family, children though running once or even twice a day...

Can't help with the plumbing though - we fitted ours where the washing machine was and moved that elsewhere... I'd have thought it's more height than distance for pumping though and they can pump to their own height, so if you can arrange a down-hill run from there then it ought to be OK ...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I'm fairly sure our miele had something in the manual about this. They sell an extension for the waste hose I seem to recall.

Give them a ring and ask - they are very helpfull in my experience. As I happen to have their washing machine brochure on my desk I can give you the number as well: 01235 554455

Miele. V. impressed with ours. Expensive to buy though. Most of the miele dishwashers have an extra cutlery drawer witch we find much better than the hopeless baskets that most makes use. Also, you should be able to find one with a 5 year warranty which is a nice bonus. (you may even find a 10 yr warranty - we just bought a Miele washing machine and that has a 10 year warranty!)

If you want to go miele then I suggest a look at what John Lewis have if you have a local branch (or check their website). John Lewis have a few extra models built specifically for them which tend to be slightly higher spec for the money (for example, our washing machine has a slightly higher spin and a better drum "because it is from john lewis").

Avoid hotpoint dishwashers IMHO. And I know someone who had a cheapy Currys own brand which was refunded after 6 months on the basis that it didn't actually wash dishes :)

Only other experiences have been with Bosch machines. Pretty good but you've ruled them out already.

HTH,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Thanks. I was looking at Miele, trying to figure out if I could afford one!

I like most Bosch stuff. Have lots of tools, and fridge and washing machine. But the washing machine hasn't been great, and getting parts for it was a very unpleasant (and expensive) experience. So I'm thinking prob. AEG, or Miele if I can stretch to it.

Reply to
Grunff

I helped a friend run piping round two corners of a U-shaped kitchen for his dishwaster using 22mm copper. Started off high, came down a bit to run behind the cooker, went down a bit lower before finishing off with a length of the standard waste hose to go up the foot/18" to the trap (waste exited through wall in an unhelpful way so this was a bit of a cludge.) The run was about 3m and it all works fine.

This was a Bosch. Must be 6 years old if it's a day and it hasn't given prombles. We've bought a new Bosch "Classixx" about 5 months ago which gets run 2/3 time a week and runs well. I like it.

Reply to
Scott M

Hmmm.

My sister had a whirlpool machine that poured water all over the floor when it was first used...repair man said that parts appeared to be missing and that he'd never heard of this happening before...

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Yeah. This was the thing that almost stopped me buying the washing machine. In the end although it was 800 quid I am thinking of it as 80 a year for the life of the warranty. Given that we have a 3 yr old and a 3month old I suspect this will have a fairly tough 10 years :)

5 year warranties are available on a load of their dishwashers at the moment according to their website...

One word of warning to anyone thinking of getting a miele washing machine - when they say that they are heavy they are not joking!!

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Yes, I think _exactly_ the same expression was used with this one at my parents. There was some slight suggestion they might try and repair it, so I made sure it was uninstalled and all back in it's original packing when the chap arrived, so there was no question of fiddling about with it. When he saw that, he just got a new one sent out and the original one collected.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hmm, maybe it was bad luck.

I've needed two parts so far, the motor and the cold solenoid valve.

On both occasions I called Bosch directly, and had the part numbers ready. Placing the order was not a problem. But the parts were I think too expensive for what they were (the motor was ~£130 IIRC, and the valve was ~£40), and took about two weeks to get here.

Reply to
Grunff

Used to have that problem with a Zanussi, and I had to disassemble it and clean out the gunge it got so bad.

Just two drips of washing up liquid added per wash (in the prewash if it has a separate prewash) completely solved the problem. There is something fatty-like which builds up over time in the pipework which dishwasher detergent doesn't seem to touch, but which washing up liquid does remove. A couple of drips of washing up liquid each wash seems to be all that's required to keep on top of it, and never needed to use a dishwasher cleaner again since then in any dishwasher where this tip of mine has been used.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hmm... I actually hadn't thought about cleaning something thats designed to clean stuff! We do live in a fairly soft water area though (nothing on the kettle after 2 years) so at least limescale isn't anything to worry about... I do clean out the filters every now & then, but so-far all's been well!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Our gets run once a day - and pretty much *everything* goes in it. We do maybe one basin of washing up a week.

It's a Bosch (4 years old now) and it's performed faultlessly since day one.

One big tip is to use dishwasher cleaner. Sainsburys do their own cleaner tablets that seem to clean the workings out very well and remove limescale.

To put it in context - ours get a clean once a month - no problems since day one. A firend got the same model at the same time and had problems ~ 1 year ago - all bunged up with crap - a few hot washes with the cleaner tablets later all is still well.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Parts - expensive? Difficult to get?

My 4 yr old dryer that had it's control knob break off was exactly the same price in quids as it was in Euro's from Bosch in Germany (as in after the currency exchange). Ordered at 10am - there 8am the next day. Not only that - I was only expecting the knob - but it was teh complete control dial assembly thru to the timer!

DId you call Bosch directly?

If so - did you have the part code?

Having the part code makes thigns a whole lot easier with them.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon