Leaves & Guttering

Overhanging my garage there is a large Silver Birch tree belonging to my neighbour. I do not have a problem with it overhanging my garden, it gives some shade for the kids when playing in the garden etc. I DO have a problem in that it drops it's leaves and they block my gutter, and I was up a ladder yesterday in all that rain clearing it so the water when down the drain and not all over the patio. My question is has anybody got any recommendations for some kind of 'leaf barrier' that works? In the past I had something on there that was a smallish mesh and had stainless steel clips that held the mesh across the top of the gutter but didn't really do "what it said on the tin", I still had to clear the gutters out every year and also had to remove this stuff and refit afterwards, so that went to the tip! If it helps my gutters are the half hexagon type, sorry don't know the 'real' name.

TIA

John

Reply to
John

recommendations

I think it's good practice to clear all gutters at least annually anyway. They get filled - and the down pipes blocked - with all sorts of debris, not just leaves from adjacent trees. The first time I noticed this, while cutting back ivy, I was amazed at the depth of black gunge which had accumulated in relatively new gutters.

Even the narrow gutters on our small greenhouse have to be cleaned every few weeks to ensure that they drain into the butt. Yes, that drain hole is very small but it doesn't need large stuff to block it.

Make the most of the shade, beauty and grace of the 'dainty lady' and don't begrudge the occasional cleaning. Mess happens, I have to wash up three times a day if I want fresh crockery ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

recommendations

These are great, you can also get steel ones - sorry could find a link for the uk.

Rob

Just did a search on that name but nothing comes up. They were a bit more expensive last year but could be them. It's a semi-cylindrical piece of foam with a bit sticking out that presses in the downpipe to keep it in place.

Reply to
G&M