Problem with Flexible Gap Polyfilla

I have tried using Flexible Gap Polyfilla to fill a gap between a door frame and the wall. The gap is 6-8 mm wide, and I stuffed the cavity behind it with bubble wrap.

The problem is that the filler doesn't seem to set properly. After twelve days, it is still soft enough to make a permanent indentation in it with my fingernail.

I enquired about this to the manufacturers, who say that it is supposed to be fully cured in a week

Furthermore, I had made a practice run filling a gap in an old wooden bookcase, which after a week I put outside in the garden. After a heavy downpour of rail, that filler appears to be dissolving. Yet this product is advertised as being suitable for indoor and outdoor use.

Is this generally thought to be a reliable product? Can anyone recommend something better, or suggest how I might be using it wrongly?

Perhaps I should mention that I am not an experienced DIY-er, and this is the first time I have visited this newsgroup.

Andy Kirkham

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

Possibly there is dampness getting behind the filler. I'd use ordinary sand/cement mortar with pva. If a gap develops next to the wood, fill that with something flexible

Reply to
stuart noble

Sounds like acyrlic flexible caulk to me. It does set eventially, but is always soft.

Unless there is movement, uou wouldn't want to use flexible. Beter off with plaster.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher