OT: What's the point of a laundry basket?

What's the point of a laundry basket, why not put the dirty clothes straight into the washing machine?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because I'm not about to traipse up and down 2 flight of stairs just to dump a few clothes each day. :-(

(Now if I still had a "clothes chute" like the last house........)

Reply to
""Retired"

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:56:07 +0100,

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Reply to
""Retired"

My first house was two flight of stairs for laundry. Next house was one flight, much better This house, same floor. Best way ever.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But surely you come downstairs each day when you get up? Is it so hard to just carry your clothes then?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They still have those? I thought those went out in the 60s. My washing machine cost me nothing, I got it on freecycle, so don't claim people can be too poor to own one.

DMMLTU

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Don't suppose ever heard of "sorting" did you?

Reply to
dpb

Why would I sort dirty clothes from dirty clothes? They all get washed together. You do realise dyes are all colour fast now?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not all of them are. I just washed some IZOD jeans with some white wash cloths. The white ones are now a light shade of blue.

Was doing the laudry as my wife is laid up for a while with a sholder replacement. Caught a litle flack about that.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Wow, don't buy IZOD jeans again. Even cheap supermarket jeans in the UK don't bleed colour.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because the washing machine is 10 miles away?

Reply to
rbowman

Try some cheap Chinese flannel shirts. Or expensive Chinese flannel shirts for that matter. The only difference is if you pay more the sleeves aren't cut to fit an alligator.

Reply to
rbowman

Light/cotton

Mixed coloureds

Darks

All get washed separately in our household. Have you not noticed the labels on towels in particular saying "Wash dark colours separately".

We also wash woollen pullovers occasionally, these need a gentler wash than the run of the mill 'ordinary' things. At the other end of the spectrum one might want to wash sheets and towels on a hotter longer wash than clothes.

Reply to
Chris Green

My wife set up 3 baskets in the small walk-in closet off our bedroom; one for whites, one for top clothes/colors, one for towels/Terry. Totally avoids sorting.

Reply to
Todesco

Too much fuss. I do two loads. One is whites that get bleach. All colors including sheets and towels go in the other load. No wool in this house.

To simplify further, all my socks are plain white sweat socks. No matching, no pairing, just stack them up and put in the drawer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sounds like racism to me.

Reply to
rbowman

So are you lazy or efficient?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:4k_UG.79663$fa5.44249 @fx30.iad:

The basket is a buffer zone where you can sort the whites from the coloured items.

Reply to
JohnP

It's extra complexity for those who insist on taking off their clothes someplace other than in front of the washing machine. Some even have to have "hampers" to further complicate the process.

Reply to
Sam E