What's the point of a triangular awning?

This:

Clearly designed to shield people from sun and rain. But isn't rectangular more sensible? Triangles have those narrow corners in three places where they shield virtually nothing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Wind resistance? They have to survive in bad weather.

Reply to
alan_m

Rectangular awnings are stodgy and boring. Triangular awnings are more to the taste of design professionals.

You're not wrong about their utility.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

How does that help with wind? My neighbour just put one up and it's flapping about the same as a rectangular one would. In fact I'd say the more anchor points, the sturdier it is, a professional large one with about 12 anchor points stays still in the highest winds. And if it doesn't actually shield much, might as well not have it at all.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Pah, have a rectangular one with a pretty picture on it then. A triangular one shields virtually nothing so's utterly pointless. You wouldn't buy a pretty car that doesn't start.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would you say a triangle looks better than a rectangle? They're just two different shapes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A triangle looks like a sail. It even has "sail" in the name. Sails remind people of the boat the family owns, and how rich they are.

OtOH, if they're poor, they may not have 4 places to tie the awning, and triangular only requires 3. Really poor people have to use pencil shaped awnings.

Reply to
micky

Worth noting that in the ad, the bench is in the full sun, but under the bench is shade.

Also worth noting that a rectangular awning is about twice the size of a triangle, but only twice. A big triangle is more than 1/2 the size of a small rectangle.

Reply to
micky

My wife just uses a piece of small rope. That way it can double as a clothes line. You have to stand just right to be in the shade, though.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

How do you know what a triangle is?

Play School had a round, a square and an arched window?

Reply to
ARW

It is a satanic thing. Note the size, 16 x 16 x 16. They are hiding the 666 from the public but we know the real meaning and the use in rituals.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

With a pencil, you can point the eraser down and pretend its a rocket.

Reply to
hah

One less pole :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I watched the special edition of playschool for the bright kids. We did dodecahedrons and stuff.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not sure what you mean by that. Chances are the area you're trying to shade is a rectangle. Makes sense to shade that using a rectangle. Size is whatever size you buy the fabric. And with a triangle, a good proportion of it is too narrow to achieve anything.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

3 is not "way less" than 4.

Nonsense. Both shapes have a middle where water pools. The trick is to slope it and keep it tight.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What pole? You can tie two corners to a shed or house, and the other(s) to a tree or fence etc. Don't tell me you have a house with no shed or fence and only one tree?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No trees at all. South facing wall would provide the anchor point for two points of the triangle, and a pole and guy cord would be needed for the third corner.

Only Australians seem to have a collection of eucalyptus trees around their houses.

Reply to
Andrew

Most people have some kind of trees in their garden. I guess you hate wildlife or something?

If not, no fence? Shed? Or just use two poles, then end up with a shade that actually serves a purpose? A triangular one is easier but useless.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you spun it very fast it could protect a much larger area! If you made it into a pyramid you could sharpen razor blades under it or sell it as a piece of modern art work. Brian being daft

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa