Haircut

I have just had to tackle SWMBO's hair and her mine, with an old 240v mains 'buzz' trimmer, for which the instructions were lost long ago. On the side of it there are two adjustments, a lever which moves the engagement of one of the blades back and forth with relation to the other blade, then a sort of plastic screw. Its that screw I struggling to work out how to adjust.

Midway through hair cutting, the trimmer began making a tremendous amount of noise, a much louder buzz. Adjusting the screw seemed to affect the buzz, but not fix it.

From memory the moving blade is between two strong springs, one fixed, the pressure of the other adjusted by the screw.

Does anyone know how this screw should be adjusted please?

Both haircuts turned out reasonable, despite the racket from the trimmer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

ISTR you tighten it until it makes the loud buzz, then back it off half a turn.

Reply to
John Rumm

... the instruction leaflet says to adjust the screw for minimum noise which it says corresponds to maximum speed. And it feels so.

Reply to
gopalansampath

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com pretended :

Thanks both, I will look at it again.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I did mine with a pair of hairdressing scissors and the beard trimmer from a phillishave. That apparently worked too. Of course its a lot easier on ones self as you can feel what you are doing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote on 21/06/2020 :

I have a Lidl rechargeable shaver which came with a hair trimmer, plus nasal trimmer. It has a depth guard and is rather good because of its oscillation speed, but the head is rather too narrow and it is rather keen/ no second chance.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Jim GM4DHJ ... laid this down on his screen :

Cut short-ish, I can feel whether it's right or wrong, but I wouldn't like to attempt to have to do it myself.

I was surprised at how easy it was to cut someones hair, using just a plastic depth of cut guide. I guess it would be much harder to get it to look right, with longer hair.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:rclk6s$n55$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

hopefully barbers open next week

their will probably be a three week long queue out the door

Reply to
tim...

Was it louder than her screaming in horror ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Post a picture of the result for us to give marks out of 10 :-)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew presented the following explanation :

She was unusually quiet throughout the entire operation.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Terror can do that to a person :-)

Reply to