OT: What damage do micro-particles of plastic do?

I don't say anything of the sort, I asked what harm it does.

So, what harm does it do?

Reply to
Chris Green

They've got to be urban.

If the thing is shoving out a couple of hundred megawatts of low-grade heat WTF will you do with that in a village? In a town you can give everyone free central heating.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Another problem is that quite a lot of pollutants are adsorbed onto the surface of plastics. Which means that they concentrate the dose for those creatures unfortunate enough to eat them.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Grow stuff.

At what infrastructure costs?

Reply to
dennis

Which problems would those be then, Den?

Reply to
Tim Streater

These are proteins and can therefore be broken down if your body produces suitable enzymes.

a long chain carbohydrate which some micro-organisms can break down (often to be found in the gut of termites). A shorter chain carbohydrate is starch for which humans have the appropriate enzymes (one of which is in your saliva).

The body consists *only* of chemicals. Chew on that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Traffic, noise, air pollution, etc. Are you so dumb as to not know that happens?

Reply to
dennis

And, of course, it is only a prosperous society that can do conservation and remediation. Whilst it is true that mankind has been responsible for the extinction of many species, this was almost all accomplished in the days of flint tools.

Reply to
newshound

I do hope that Proc Roy Soc required them to say a bit more than "plastic".

At least the Telegraph didn't say "chemicals".

Reply to
newshound

Try eating it to find out.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well I heard about it via a podcast, the person that had discovered that fish were eating plastic because it gave of a smell similar to krill was being interviewed, I didn't get this info from a newspaper or a reporter but a scientist.

Reply to
whisky-dave

My *point* is that the Telegraph seems to be blaming all plastics. I think it is most unlikely to be PE, PP, PS or PET. PVC, perhaps.

So no reason to declare war on all plastics. If there is an issue for certain types, then they could be controlled more tightly or even banned: plenty of precedent for this. But who cares about facts these days. The scarier the scare story, the better.

newshound

But few know which plastics are OK and which aren't, and even fewer can itentify them by sight. There; might even be plastics that are good for the enviroment but I doubt many know of them either.

which there is. But overall Id say any plastic disposed of in the sea or land isnlt good.

No one will bother until the scare stories emerge from the depths of theory. A bit like smoking, drinking or anything else.

The only good news I've heard is that if some plastics are added to concrete (about 15% by volume IIRC) will strenghen concrete by upto 25%.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's OK, science has developed an enzyme to eat plastics, or rather science has copied nature where a bacteria made the enzyme

I wonder whether discarded plastics or super-bugs that eat things made of plastic will be the bigger problem in the long run?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does anyone remember a BBC drama in the Doomwatch series in the '70s I think? It featured plastic eating bugs that escaped in an aircraft and started disolving all the plastic bits. Be careful what you wish for! :)

Reply to
The Other John

My thoughts exactly when I watched the news last night. I do remember watching that episode although if I watched it today I may notice more the poor acting, cardboard sets and all the old junk being discarded by the BBC engineering department being passed of as modern electronics.

Reply to
alan_m

The very first thing that came to my mind (except I couldn't remember its title off the top of my head)!

Reply to
Johnny B Good

That wasn't my take away of that episode other than perhaps "Shades of 'The Andromeda Strain'".

Reply to
Johnny B Good

and it depends on what else they eat. :-)

Reply to
Martin

You know that degraded plastic smells like krill? How?

Reply to
Cynic