OT: What damage do micro-particles of plastic do?

Some of the difficulty is that they keep getting eroded down to smaller and smaller particles. Ending up with nano plastics that are small enough to be absorbed through tissue in the body and lodge in organs where they can't then be excreted. When these end up in the food chain, you have a potential problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just check Youtube for how stupid dogs are.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

One reason for this is that plastic breaking down in sea water gives off a smell/scent very mich like krill which a lot of fish feede on.

and would make fish a bot chewy I'd have thought ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Does it cover up the coral reefs and just because something sinks it doesn't make it harmless either.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That wasn't what I was asking about, you may well be right. I was asking about plastic bits in the gravel at the bottom of a river.

Reply to
Chris Green

Interesting to see it against that unspoiled landscape :-)

Reply to
newshound

Surely we have all evolved to cope with nano particles? And it's hard to think of anything chemically more benign than polyethylene.

Technology lets us do science now on nanoparticles. If you want to get funding, you need a scare story.

Reply to
newshound

Does it?

Also, it either breaks down, or it doesn't. They can't have it both ways.

Reply to
newshound

Because paper bags are even more likely to break (especially if wet) than the flimsy environmental plastic they use nowadays. Bring back proper plastic bags capable of supporting the weight of what goes in them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Eh? I recycle 90% of my plastic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Are you saying you actually support that annoying inconvenient fuckup charge?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You mean that massive china clay pit and spoil heaps?

Reply to
Rob Morley

How do they get in rivers think about that first.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But the sediment is easily disturbed and micro-pastics will take a lot longer than most other non-organic items to sink again - giving a far greater chance of being snapped up by aquatic life.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes it does.

yes they can. But it does depend what you mean by breakdown.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I fail to see the relevance of how they get there. The report in question is saying that their presence in the river is a problem, it's not saying that how they got there is doing any harm.

Reply to
Chris Green

That might well be the reason but it wasn't made clear in the report in question.

Reply to
Chris Green

A damn sight better to use them to heat greenhouses than install area heating in an urban area.

Build one next to harry he is an environmentalist.

Who knows? the electrostatic filters might actually capture some of the even smaller micro particles you will get from burning the stuff.

Reply to
dennis

Yes he does. The whole area above St Austell is heavily scarred by china clay workings, some of which date back over 200 years. It's a very industrial landscape, and has given employment to the local population for very many decades, including me. Unfortunately there's no way of extracting the china clay other than digging huge holes and piling up the waste sand into tips. The ratio of waste to useable china clay varies but is typically in the range 10:1 to 5:1. Much of the sand is washed and graded and used in the local building industry, but transport costs limit how far it can be economically transported. To give them some credit, the company that operates there does make a significant effort to restore the landscape to original heathland when individual pits are finally worked out, and has won awards for its efforts.

Chris Hogg

Of course you do. Like magic, such things just appear why be concered.

So you don;t think plastic does any harm in rivers then is that your conclu sion ?

Reply to
whisky-dave