OT Virgin - unsolicited calls- sarcasm and more

Thanks Chris, thats a good start for collecting info on what they can do.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

I hate to sound anal about this, but my point was, based on a sample of one where I let them continue, that the TPS allows surveys through, but anyone can say that they are carrying out a survey, ask a simple question and then drop into the sales pitch.

So "Do you know what tariff you are on?" counts as a survey, bypasses the TPS don't call me rules and potentially opens the door.

I reported a sales pitch disguised as a survey to Ofcom. That's when I got a totally useless answer.

Reply to
Bill

I'm letting the side down again.>

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In article , Phil Addison writes

They do IP variants that let you run VOIP if you feel so inclined, quite handy of you want a second line or if you want to have a disposable number to give to potentially unscrupulous traders. Highly recommended, we use them in an office environ, whizzy S685IP models but I believe the older 475s are still available and still do the job.

Reply to
fred

The TPS don't let anything through.

Abiding by TPS is self enforced by the calling company and enforced retrospectively by responding to complaints.

Surveys are allowed if the ARE surveys. If they are opening gambits for a sale then they are banned just like any other sales call, and if you complain about it the regulator will tell the company to stop doing it (and prosecute if they are so minded, which seems to be about once every leap year)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

... are any of you getting calls from some Indian(ish) company claiming to be something to do with government grants?

I was rude to the first one. The second one ("My name is Dennis"... in a Bombay accent) I just told them to hang on a minute, and went back to the TV :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ