OT uk.legal

Has any one looked at uk,legal recently, absolutely not any sensible posts in sight

Reply to
F Murtz

Yes. It never used to be like this.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

There's also uk.legal.moderated which appears to be free of nonsense.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That is the one I peruse, it is fine!

Reply to
Broadback

You seem to have taken advantage of the rule which says that only really old jokes that everyone has heard are allowed in ulm.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You clearly haven't read it :-)

A few days ago I posted a stupid insult/joke to it by mistake and it passed moderation.

In the past I have made pertinent, thoughtful, helpful, polite, posts which have been blocked.

Reply to
Pancho

uk.politics.misc is ok. OK, if you have an extensive killfile.

usenet never moved on with sensible ways to control spam/rubbish. All the moderated groups seem to have excessive moderation.

Reply to
Pancho

I believe they have a whitelisting system which means people who have proved sensible get their posts (unless they contain keywords which make them suspect) accepted automatically. Which means that such a poster can post one inappropriate post before (probably) being de-whitelisted. It is quite a busy group and the whitelisting is probably a good thing despite the risk of accidents.

Rejecting inoffensive posts is another issue.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

lol! blackballed, before I even knew I was on the whitelist.

Whitelisting sounds a bit racist to me!

Reply to
Pancho

Lot of racists, though.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

A moderated group is OK with racism?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It seems so, yes.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

shocking

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Something about keeping a list of the white people. It all sounds very sinister.

Reply to
Pancho

totly

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

well being white is ok being black is not ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I really can't understand why somebody spends their time setting out to trash a group so comprehensively

post a few trolls for fun seems believable

but posting 100s of pointless crap per day doesn't make sense to me

tim

Reply to
tim...

This is why I believe it's important to maintain a focus of this place being a (d-i-y related ideally[1]), practical Q/A site, not just someone's personal 'Thought Tourettes' / Twatter / Blog. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think it is obvious that some people do not like free speech. I don't know if these are the people trashing uk.legal, but it would seem to be a sensible way of achieving the result. Trash uncontrolled public forums to push people into managed forums and then you can control the managers.

It would be nice if someone came up with a robust distributed way of promoting good content and demoting pointless crap, a bit like bit coin, but for opinions. I see poster voting used in places like Stack Exchange but I don't think it works very well.

Reply to
Pancho

In message <r7pm0g$mej$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, tim... <tims_new snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

I suspect that you are falling into the trap of thinking that trolls "think" in the same way that normal people do.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian