OT: Those cheap and cheery chinese spy video cameras

Just incase some of ye are messing about with those tiny video cameras available on eBay (and Maplin, Morgan etc...), I thought I'd share this fellow's website which seems to be the centre of things technical.

bits of tatty kit. My last cost me £6 delivered :)

Reply to
Adrian C

A PayPal account seems necessary to buy from the sellers. (perhaps not from the Amazon reseller) Is a PayPal account safe to buy from somewhere east of the EU that might be involved in scams such as harvesting and cloning credit card details etc ?

Curious that they do not ship to Italy.

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R
[...]

The whole point of a PayPal account is that the card details are never disclosed to the seller.

I've never had a problem with any transactions to Asia, although you can't expect the item(s) to arrive the next day!

Not really; lots of UK sellers won't either.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

ISTR that's to do with things regularly "going missing" in Italian postal services..... (standby for robust defence of all things Italian....:>)

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

The point of PayPal is that ye don't end up giving personal details like your credit card or bank details straight to dodgy sorts, and if (and only if) ye are making the purchase via eBay, you are protected against the deal not coming through. Using PayPal outside eBay with far east suppliers, is much less certain of getting your money back if they supply junk or scarper.

The issue with PayPal is at some point (and in common with all other financial on-line institutions) ye many be phished for your login details to aid some crooks commit identity theft. Or your machine may have hidden malware / trojans stealing your keyboard input. These are separate security things that need dealing with before even thinking about going internet shopping anywhere!

I've read somewhere Italy has draconian copyright and trademark infringement police ready and waiting at their foreign mail points of entry...

BTW, these things are so cheap if one arrives not working, I ain't going to grief too much, except perhaps order another. Eventually, as noted on the website I quoted, these things break.

On the other hand, this kind of free post gadget ordering is doing UK businesses out of trade, HM Government out of Tax, and Royal Mail out of Business.

However, when UK businesses for this sector is basically Maplin, CPC or Poundland, and _they_ go shopping out in the far east, well so does me.

Not 'scammed' yet (famous last words)

Reply to
Adrian C

The only details the other end gets is your email address and home address as registered with PayPal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quote from an HK seller eBay advert ...

"1.Ship to worldwide except Italy.(We are really sorry we do not ship product to Italy in normal way because Italy customs will hold them.We indeed want to cooperate with Italy buyers,but we can not find a good way.Really hope Italy buyers can understand on our side.If Italy's customers really want to buy, please pay additional DHL or EMS fee,

20USD within 500 g)."
Reply to
Adrian C

"Why are these cameras so cheap? Because some of the parts are not the best."

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Which of the (various) sellers did you use?

The cheapest currently on 'buy it now'.

See item 110499197197

Reply to
Adrian C