OT: They are busy today

It's only lunchtime, and so far, I have had two BT technicians on the 'phone, both offering to fix my non-existent internet problem, and now at the door, one Green Energy salesman, speaking so quietly I couldn't hear him properly, offering a five-minute appraisal of the house for energy assessment. Not fazed by the fact that I already have loft insulation, I am not going to change the thatched roof, and the walls cannot be filled, as they are only single thickness, then he tried to sell me an air-sourced heatpump. The photos show an arrangement hanging off the wall of the house that looks like a giant double beer cooler arrangement, absolutely out of keeping with any house in this old village.
The most disturbing thing was that the first BT guy sounded British, rather than Peninsular.
--
Davey.

On 08/11/2019 13:01, Davey wrote:

Is India a peninsula now?
--
Max Demian

It always was wasn't it?
--
Chris Green
·

On 08/11/2019 14:11, Chris Green wrote:

Spain and Portugal form the Iberian Peninsula, so why shouldn't a sub-continent be a peninsula, too? I suppose.
On 08/11/2019 14:40, GB wrote:

P&O, The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, originated with contracts to carry mail to Portugal (Peninsular) and India (Orient)
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On 08/11/2019 14:40, GB wrote:

It's a bit big. I've never heard of India being described as a mere peninsula.
--
Max Demian

The term Indian Peninsular was certainly bandied about at one time, it occurred on articles in a childrens illustrated Encyclopaedia that my Mother had when she was a child 80+ years ago that was still knocking about when I was small. Geographically I don’t think it was all the states of India.
This was one official use of the term.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Indian_Peninsula_Railway
GH
On 08/11/2019 14:11, Chris Green wrote:

Peninsula is Latin for "almost an island". Does that apply to India?
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

On 09/11/2019 09:47, Another Dave wrote:

Is Australia an island?
--
Max Demian

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 11:08:52 +0000

An island continent, with several peninsulars attached.
--
Davey.

Corse it is.
On 08/11/2019 14:11, Chris Green wrote:

I thought it was an island adrift in the pacific until tectonic plate movements made it bump into Asia (creating the Himalayas in the process) ?.
On 08/11/2019 13:01, Davey wrote:

No real guide to where they are calling from. The BT UK cal centres are all staffed with low paid workers from the rest of the EU and those in the Indian call centres all have common English first names!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Have you had the Amazon Prime call yet? Brian
--
----- --
On Friday, 8 November 2019 13:01:31 UTC, Davey wrote:

The heat pump can be freestanding.
On 08/11/2019 13:05, Jimk wrote:

Perhaps the Green Energy salesman hasn't realised that the Labour and the Green parties manifesto's haven't yet been tested by the voters ?.