OT: They are busy today

Christmas is coming....

Reply to
Jimk

It's only lunchtime, and so far, I have had two BT technicians on the 'phone, both offering to fix my non-existent internet problem, and now at the door, one Green Energy salesman, speaking so quietly I couldn't hear him properly, offering a five-minute appraisal of the house for energy assessment. Not fazed by the fact that I already have loft insulation, I am not going to change the thatched roof, and the walls cannot be filled, as they are only single thickness, then he tried to sell me an air-sourced heatpump. The photos show an arrangement hanging off the wall of the house that looks like a giant double beer cooler arrangement, absolutely out of keeping with any house in this old village.

The most disturbing thing was that the first BT guy sounded British, rather than Peninsular.

Reply to
Davey

Is India a peninsula now?

Reply to
Max Demian

It always was wasn't it?

Reply to
Chris Green

Spain and Portugal form the Iberian Peninsula, so why shouldn't a sub-continent be a peninsula, too? I suppose.

Reply to
GB

P&O, The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, originated with contracts to carry mail to Portugal (Peninsular) and India (Orient)

Reply to
DJC

No real guide to where they are calling from. The BT UK cal centres are all staffed with low paid workers from the rest of the EU and those in the Indian call centres all have common English first names!

Reply to
alan_m

Have you had the Amazon Prime call yet? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

It's a bit big. I've never heard of India being described as a mere peninsula.

Reply to
Max Demian

The heat pump can be freestanding.

Reply to
harry

Peninsula is Latin for "almost an island". Does that apply to India?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Is Australia an island?

Reply to
Max Demian

An island continent, with several peninsulars attached.

Reply to
Davey

Perhaps the Green Energy salesman hasn't realised that the Labour and the Green parties manifesto's haven't yet been tested by the voters ?.

Reply to
Andrew

I thought it was an island adrift in the pacific until tectonic plate movements made it bump into Asia (creating the Himalayas in the process) ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The term Indian Peninsular was certainly bandied about at one time, it occurred on articles in a childrens illustrated Encyclopaedia that my Mother had when she was a child 80+ years ago that was still knocking about when I was small. Geographically I don?t think it was all the states of India.

This was one official use of the term.

GH

Reply to
Marland