OT The new van - yes it is a FIAT

Was there a reason ?

On my SAC we were told there was a big push for local authorities and teh Highways Agency to re-examine speed limits, with a view to making them "more appropriate", and removing the stupid 70-30 changeovers that give rise to a lot of problems. Generally this has led to lower speed limits. Certainly around me 60s became 50s, and quite a few 40s were "lost" so the two 30s they linked become a longer 30 stretch.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No. The one system which should be *easiest* to do AI can't.

I want my "AI" to be able to score something on an IQ test. Otherwise it's just fancy algorithms.

"Watson" came close when I saw a demo. But it was guarded by a Big Blue bouncer, so *he* asked the questions.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Nothing easy about getting the hits you want on the first page.

That?s all AI can ever be.

Reply to
lopt

And (according to the bikers group) there are 90kph signs still in place which need to be ignored as the blanket 80kph applies

Reply to
Andy Burns

20 years ago, Google was almost perfect with 8/10, 9/10 useful hits.

These days, it's not uncommon to have none on the first page. The only effort Google appear to have made is to paraphrase your search terms - "did you mean ...." or to remove quotes - so as to give the impression it's done something.

I await the first genius that offers a paid for search engine with all the crud removed. Coupled with a search engine that can find what I want to buy, rather than what people want to sell :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Ah! I wasn't aware of that but I'm sure I heard somewhere that somthing similar has happened in Belgium but possibly only in Flanders, just to make things more confusing!

I will have to check the current situation before going back there again.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Well, unless these are sections of dual carriageway with a reduced limit, there isn't really any need for 90kph signs.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Don?t believe that.

Still does with most searches. Just did one yesterday when someone asked me about how to get physical US dollars for their trip to Turkey. Got 10/10 useful hits with less useful ones on the current conversion rate after the ones where you can buy the currency online or in person.

I haven't seen that at all anymore. Try finding the name of a US roman catholic priest who murdered a woman and had the roman catholic church cover that murder up for more than 50 years and who has just recently been charged, tried and convicted for that murder. That shows up on the first page.

The only

It isnt just giving the impression with that murderer priest.

Never have any trouble doing that with most of what I want to buy. Most recently heavy corduroy trousers/jeans. And one of those things you use to adjust where the windscreen washer jets are pointing.

I did have a problem finding stainless steel dinner forks with nice thick heavy handles and prongs that arent the current fashion, but that?s because hardly anyone lists their forks by weight or prong length. Nothing google can do about that. Even the search by picture isnt viable with the weight of the handle.

Reply to
lopt

single

20 is not a default limit, there should be 20 repeater signs. The mandatory (red circle) 20 limits that have popped up around here have them. The "advisory" (green circle) don't...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Na, a silver BMW rammed him. And then f***ed off. Still he managed to get the number plate.

Reply to
ARW

What?s the situation when you have a flashing temporary 20mph limit sign (by a school) but there?s no sign to indicate a return to a 30mph limit? Does it cease to be legally enforceable?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The law was changed so they can paint them on the road surface and that's legal now.

Reply to
dennis

Oh, *another* tip from the SAC was to keep up to date with the highway code. Not knowing what is in it is not a defence to motoring offences.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Which is good as that's where I'm looking - tend to miss them less compared to hiding behind an overgrown bush.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Wait till it snows ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

For which mandatory or advisory?

Or the paint wears off.

Or the glare from street lighting on wet road renders all the painted markings invisible.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Donno, there's one of those in Hexham. There has been two systems put in, the first had an, IIRC, illuminated 30 that lit up when the 20 was active.

The current just has single 20 with flashing amber lights sign (note single not both sides of the the road like normal start of limit signage) and nothing further on to say you're out of the restriction.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice