Dyson scraps electric car project saying it is 'not commercially viable'

I had my own suspician when a tinker mechanical gdget company tries to enter highly technical and long gestation_return project like Electric car. Hope the guy has come down from his dream castle to ground.
Continue with overpriced vacuum machinesd mate that is where thw cheap money is there to pickup!

Quite. He'll have discovered there ain't the same pickings offered when he mixes with the big boys.
It's said that Tesla - despite the huge price - have failed to make a profit yet. And the margins on smaller vehicles is going to be even tighter.
Interesting to see an ad for electric MGs the other day. Quite some progress from a firm who had to buy a ready made brand only a few years ago.
--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

On Friday, 11 October 2019 11:07:20 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

enter highly technical and long gestation_return project like Electric car.

money is there to pickup!
Like with Apple the customers decide whether they are overpriced.
DId yuo see the basic test on omne of the comsumer progs like watchdog the other week, they 'tested' 3 cordless cleaners.

I'd have thought that would have been obvious from the start.

Part of the problem is with the 'garages' in the USA that sell them. The staff aren't trained with electrics vehicals and don;t know much about them and even those that do the problem is the margins for petrol are large r and the petrol industry pays more to a car salesman when he sells a petro l/diesel than he does when he sells an electric car.

Problem for Tesla is that he can't meet his production targets. Tesla got in first but are now being caught and overtaken by the automotive giants. Dyson are wise to pull out. Find another niche.
--
bert

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 10:59:44 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

I think the Sinclair C5 (electrically assisted tricycle) was supposed to be a funding / feasibility step to the C1 (electric car).
The funny thing is, the C5 is still a good short range communing solution for those people who might otherwise cycle and want a bit of comfort and carrying capacity. No use for those who simply must have a heated seat and be completely isolated from the real world. ;-)

Yeah, I saw that (briefly).

What worries me about the whole (P)EV thing (and more so with hybrids) is just how complicated everything is becoming and how quickly things seem to get 'written off' these days for the sake of something overly complex / fallible / expensive?
My PEV for example doesn't have any electronics involved at all, as per thousands of milk-floats that carried tonnes of milk and produce around the country reliably for years in all weathers. KISS etc.
I'm not sure of the global availability of lead (for the use of production of LA batteries) compared with say Lithium but I believe lead is one of the most efficiently recycled metals.
I think there could be slot for a fully covered very lightweight / slow speed (30mph) PEV that isn't classified as a 'car' and so wouldn't need to go though all the crash testing and could be allowed on the bigger cycleways. I think I've seen something that fits that sorta description used abroad and may have been electrically assisted.
The problem with anything 'lightweight', especially in the UK is that you probably couldn't leave it in the road unattended because of the complete lack of respect for other peoples property exhibited by a minority of the community. ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On Friday, 11 October 2019 13:19:56 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

I thought the C1 was first but never really practicl so he went for something smaller rather than a car.

Strange that few took them up then. Most felt safer cycling because they were higher up in the seat.

The real world was quite dangerous then, perhaps even worse today.

Whatever the markets wants will be sold the rest stays on the shelf.

I don;t suppsoe you know why everyone didn't choose to buy them do you. They do seema good idea perhaps charging them was a problem and the relatively low speed.

I think in the end they'd just get in the way of other road users.

Not sure what weight would have to do with it.

On 11/10/2019 13:50, whisky-dave wrote:

Even small cars such as classic Minis and classic Fiat 500s have been known to be picked up by a group of people and left in an awkward spot (such as trapped behind a row of bollards - or at our school, with two wheels on one side on the ground and the other two on top of a small wall).
Something lighter is quite likely to find itself further removed or even in the back of a van.
SteveW
On Friday, 11 October 2019 19:54:49 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:

Well I was wondering why this only happens in the UK. A couple of years ago a 'few' people in my area picked up and moved a double decker bus.
VW on top of some shops https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5579193,-0.0559514,3a,75y,277.38h,79.93t/data =!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soml5iN2fHtKcO3zK4l8DgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

true but it;s still quite unlikely, and I doibt such ligbhtweight cars will be produced with weights in them to stop people carrying them off.
Perhaps that;s why ehn peoples homnes get broken into the TVs and such things getv stolen but rarely washing machines ;-)

That’s not a VW, none of those had 4 doors and the front and back are wrong for a VW too.

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 05:02:40 +1100, "Rod Speed"

Correct. It's a Morris Minor.
<snip> >>> VW on top of some shops

w-d getting something else completely wrong ...

Yup, probably a post ~64, Series V, MM 1098, 4dr saloon.
Cheers, T i m
On Monday, 14 October 2019 21:39:19 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soml5iN2fHtKcO3zK4l8DgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

ck are wrong

Yes I only noticed it on saturday evening when friend said I'm suprised it 's still up there, and it does look more like a morris than a VW, put a fe w more up their and we can get some moris dancing on the go :)

Well, if you're not sure what they look like just count the doors. Don't think there was ever a production 4 door Beetle.
--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *

On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 15:44:21 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

,79.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soml5iN2fHtKcO3zK4l8DgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

back

Doubt that would have helped me much, I wouldnlt have know that no beetle h as had 4 doors.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a22060813/vw-beetle-elect ric-four-door/

No idea, first time I saw the car on the roof was saturday about 8pm it was dull and raining, didn't think to count the doors from the top of the bus. Went to a club with a mockup of a tube train inside, yes and I know it's ma de of wood and is used as a drinks bar. That too is a relatively recent edi tion to the 30+ year old club. I've been going there since it opened, but n ot every week obviously.

Yep, couldn't be bothered to check what it actually was. I am much more familiar with beetles than morrises.
Are people on drugs in this group ?? How do you explain needless troll and hijacking of discussion topics. Get real folks 🥴🥴🥴
Corse most of the geriatric old farts are, to keep them alive.

Some find some topics interesting.

Go and fuck yourself, again.
Watch your tongue, you convict mf ! 😬😬😬
Go and fuck yourself, again.
On 11/10/2019 13:19, T i m wrote:

Agreed.
People are also sort of approaching the C5 concept from the other direction, namely the electric "Cargo Bikes" which, in urban areas, are more than up to doing shopping and school runs. There are also a couple that are regularly parked at my client's office, so evidently used for commuting. The wider and more upright geometry of these probably makes them safer than C5's.
Security should get better with a combination of alarms, immobilisers, trackers, and cameras sending images straight back to the owner.
I'm unconvinced by the "lithium will run out" arguments for the same reason I don't see us having to give up mobile phones because of the lack of a few exotic metals. I have a drawer full of old mobile phones, and once I can get a fiver apiece for them they'll be in the recycling. Lead is relatively easy to recycle of course, but I suspect that mobile phones are already more concentrated than some of the ores, and lithium batteries probably not far behind the current salt deposits.