vegi scraps bucket?

Hi All,

You guys have mentioned that yo stick your vegi scraps into a bucket, then bury.

Any special bucket? Any special type of metal/plastic? Do you seal it with a lid?

Many thanks,

-T

I bought a crock pot insert and lid from a second hand store that does the job.

Reply to
azigni

Ours is the bucket from a potty chair when the wife broke her hip six years ago. Best bucket we've ever had. We don't pot hole the stuff, we have a compost barrel that gets turned frequently to help the composting. We live on five feet of clay with about two inches of sand on top, pot holing wouldn't help. We have raised bed gardens, six inches of man made soil in a four by eight box X 2 plus another that is the same but sixteen feet long.

We're slowly making soil alongside the fence in back and have dug big holes in the clay in the front yard for the flowers and the pear tree. All nicely amended of course.

Reply to
George Shirley

Ours go into a empty whipped topping containaer , then to the hen house for further processing . The results go into my compost pile , then to the garden after a suitable time .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Years ago we had ten acres to play with and had ducks, chickens, and a commercial rabbitry. Rabbit manure can straight into the garden, doesn't burn at all. The other poop had to be composted to be worthwhile. Had a tall roost for the chickens and a door behind the roost. A friend who was a cabinet maker gave me all his sawdust and that went under the chickens roost. The mixture of chicken manure and sawdust was worth its weight in gold. That was some truly rich stuff.

Not to mention that I worked in a chemical plant for a living and next door was a fertilizer plant. Used to bring a gallon or two of liquid fertilizer occasionally. The kids accidentally put to much on a stand of corn and we had twelve feet tall corn with no ears. At least the cow, goats, rabbits, etc. enjoyed the chopped corn stalks.

I'm glad we did that when we were in our twenties, in our mid to late seventies we wouldn't have the energy.

Picking cucumbers daily, reckon we might have to make some relish or pickles, we sure as heck can't eat them all.

Good news, it isn't raining at this moment, the ground is still squishy though.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

i feed almost everything like that to the worms one way or another. for temporary storage of stuff that is wet that might rot quickly i'll put it in quart yogurt containers and put them in the fridge until i can put them in the worm buckets.

stuff that i need to dry out (potato peels, carrots) i slice and stack the trays so the air will flow over them (in the winter with forced air heat it will dry stuff out quickly), then i can store it until i use it without having to do anything else.

when Ma makes fruit salad for 50 she puts it in the bucket and then i take it and put it right into the worm bins right away. they love melon peels.

to keep fruit flies and fungus gnats from going in or out i keep them covered with fine mesh and the rubber ring that goes in the lid fits around that outside. you can also use old t-shirts (if they don't have holes in them). because everything is buried under a bit of dirt i don't usually smell anything at all unless i'm actually digging in them to put stuff in.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We keep a pail with a lid in the kitchen for scraps. They go out to the sheep every morning.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Hi All,

I am saving all your responses for when I can read them slowly with an unhurried mind. Thank you all for the responses!

-T