perfect project for the scraps

not sure about the small wooden flag i think cloth or leather would be better for that

has to be painted green too pretty sure the project can done without need for the plans

Reply to
Electric Comet

All of those screws look tacky (to me).

Reply to
Bill

It was designed for kids. I imagine an experienced woodworker could take a few hours and come up with a way to eliminate them. Nah, that would be hard to do.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

not insurmountable

mix a little fine sawdust with some glue and cover the screws sand paint green

the hardest part will be finding the right green for a green

Reply to
Electric Comet

that is funny a few hours sounds about right

might use staples and set the depth so the staple sticks out just a little

golfing is supposed to be frustrating so those staples will help with that

Reply to
Electric Comet

...but a great teaching moment for the kid.

Adult: "Do you think it would look better without the screws?"

Kid, Option 1: "No"

Adult: "Then you have no eye for aesthetics. Go play in traffic."

Kid, Option 2: "Yes"

Adult: "OK, let's figure out a way to make that happen."

Disclaimer: I do not condone the practice of actually suggesting that children play in traffic.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

it seems that now if you can get them interested in woodworking you let them be because that by itself is hard to do let alone being so bold to tell them how to do it

Reply to
Electric Comet

"Do you think it would look better without the screws?" is a question, not a command. A good teacher takes his cue from both the response and (hopefully) his understanding of the student's personality.

Some students want to extract as much information from the teacher as possible, others want to learn on their own. A good teacher (and parent) recognizes each type of personality and adjusts his teaching methods to fit.

I have 4 kids. (They are all adults now.) #1 and #4 welcome my suggestions and we build on those suggestions together. #2 welcomes my suggestions and then expands on them to the n-th degree without any further prompting from me. #3 simply wants to know the answer to the exact question that

*she* asked. If she wants or needs more information, *she* will ask.

It took me many years to figure out how to deal with #3 because I wanted to teach. Once I figured what she was looking for, our relationship improved immensely.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

so true

good baseball managers also have this trait

they get a group of guys and if the manager is good he figures out how to win with that group of guys

the notion applies to almost any position and parents are sure no exception but sadly some never figure that out

as a whole i would say humanity is doing better at this than in the past

Reply to
Electric Comet

"as a whole" Classic :)

btw, Don't you think any manager is encumbered with this challenge?

Reply to
bnwelch

So now it's OK if the adult asks "Do you think it would look better without the screws?"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

i missed that you were looking for an argument

Reply to
Electric Comet

Shall I remind you of something you said to me:

"it seems that now if you can get them interested in woodworking you let them be because that by itself is hard to do let alone being so bold to tell them how to do it"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

my position was clearly stated scrutiny is good and required but too often and it can backfire i do not believe in free reign either it is a fine line to walk as you said the approach to criticism is different for everyone

posing a question might be a productive approach

for example

nice putting practice green you made anything you would do different next time

then you could ask want to hear my opinions

some people insist on imposing themselves into and onto everything

Reply to
Electric Comet

Reply to
Scott Lurndal