OT The new van - yes it is a FIAT

Opposite to that on my car - main beam. It doesn't cancel when you switch off. So next time the auto lights switch 'em on, they come on in main beam.

The other gotcha with the auto lights is thick fog but high light level, it helpfully switches the lights off...

If they can't get these simple things right, how on earth are they going to get an autonomus car right?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Every system? I don't think I've ever floored, as in quickly pressed to the floor, the accelerator in the Freelander. I've eased it to that position but the "straight" road started to get a bit bendy...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or the apprentice reversed into something when collecting parts. :-)

Reply to
Andrew

An virtually unanswerable question?

Apparently my limiter (audi) will exceed the limit if you use kickdown.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's what I thought you said. Just thinking about it here, the road I turn into to get here is 30. This one 20. I'd not change it to 20 for a hundred yards. But would want it on 20 when driving off round the block - all 20. So it would have to be altered each time I started the car at home...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Vast amounts of London are now 20.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That isn't how "zones" work.

Once you pass the sign saying "20 mph Zone", it's 20 (no repeaters) until you pass an "end of zone" sign. This is how to make *all* roads around schools etc 20mph with a minimum of signage.

Once again, the speed awareness course I attended has proved invaluable, as everything they predicted has happened.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The documentation for my Citroen also says the same.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The foglights on my car (Citroen) are soft wired, and turn off with the ignition (many would say that's a good thing :) )

Ah, yes. I suspect the increasing number of no-lights-in-fog cars I see are relying on their auto lights. I don't. Luckily the much-opposed-at- the-time running lights help out a bit.

I refuse to believe in anything touted as "AI" until I can get sensible results out of Google. Currently things are going backwards on that count.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

TNP's post was specifically in relation to driving in Europe, where different rules apply.

Unless otherwise indicated, the sign on a town's boundary automatically signals a 50kph limit. The corresponding exit sign means the limit reverts to national limits - usually

90kph on single carriageways and 120kph on dual carriageways.

It is theoretically possible to drive around a large area of a country without seeing a single speed limit sign, yet the actual limit will have changed many times.

Another catch is that non-automatic restrictions cancel at every junction unless there is a repeater. For example, a

50kmph limit on the approach to a junction will stop at the junction unless there are more signs on the far side of the junction.

Also, remember to watch out for priority signs. Apart from motorways, priority from the right still exists, unless otherwise signed. Naturally, it doesn't normally apply to main roads and may often only be found at minor junctions in towns but that isn't a guarantee - especially when a main road is approaching the outskirts of a large town.

Different countries have different ways of implementing these standard traffic rules. Belgium takes top marks for priority repeater signs, for example.

Also, speed limits vary from country to country. The normal

90kmph limit, for example, is 80kmph in the Netherlands. The normal 120kmph limit on motorways becomes 130kmph in France but both that and dual carriageway limits are reduced by 20kmph when it is raining.
Reply to
Terry Casey

Auto drivers will be used to flooring the pedal. Called kickdown. As well as giving you a lower gear, it tends to move any upshift points to maximum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the car is set by looking at the speedo then chances are they are doing about 47.

Reply to
bert

Not so - as it's not a standard feature of all cars for ever.

Or not be able to reach a safe speed - like when joining a motorway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, when I first got a car with limiter and cruise control, I quickly learned that the limiter is absolute: you can't exceed it by pressing harder on the accelerator if you find that you need to exceed the limit in order to match the speed of a car that's coming up behind you when you misjudged and thought that it was going roughly the same speed as you and therefore it was safe to move into that lane. The cruise control, on the other hand, can be exceeded if you need to.

I wish that lorry drivers would realise that if all lorries are limited to the same speed, there is no point in pulling out into lane 2 of a 2-lane road to try to overtake another lorry that is going at exactly the same speed as you. It is high time we brought in legislation to prevent lorry drivers reducing a 2-lane dual carriageway (ie 70 for cars) to a 55 mph road because lorries perpetually play leapfrog. A1 north of the M18 junction as far as Ferrybridge where it becomes 3-lane motorway is a notorious stretch.

Reply to
NY

So just because one system is going backwards according to you, that means that no system can do AI well, eh ?

Reply to
lopt

And if you miss a sign (maybe a truck parked in front of it), you might not know for the next 10 miles that you have left the 20-zone or alternatively that had entered one. It would make far more sense for the road markings within a 20-zone to be a different colour. This could be acheived fairly quickly, as most road markings need repainting regularly.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That has been a requirement for some years - it can be mechanical (switching the lights off physically switches the foglights off), electrical (same idea) or automatically cancelling them if the ignition is switched off).

I find a similar problem. I am good at switching the lights on in conditions where the auto system doesn't quite cut-it. However, if I manually turn them off (say sitting in a car park with the ignition on), I find it very easy to forget to switch them back to auto ready for the next evening.

I keep finding that fairly simple searches that should return hundreds of hits return just one or two and then masses of irrelevent ones.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Watch yourself in France. All single carriageways (except those with an overtaking lane on hills) have now dropped to 80kph since the beginning of July.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

*Shrug*

take it up with "da council". And before that "da government" that legislated for it.

The ones around here you would have to work quite hard at "not noticing", given the signage and markings *on* the road.

Looking at the plans for Birmingham, seems that eventually the only 30mph roads will be the "A" ones - which all have average speed cameras.

Anyway, it's your choice. You can drive and pay attention to the speed limits. Or you can carry on as you see fit and see what happens. Which was basically the take-home message from the SAC.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

it's not AI anyway

learning which of two (three or four) pre-programmed values to use for a specific circumstance is not AI

AI is deciding to do something that not in your pre-programmed list

tim

Reply to
tim...