fibreglass van bodies....

Seen some car based van conversions with small "porthole" non-opening windows in the fibreglass sides.

How straightforward is it to blank off these so that from outside at least you wouldn't know they had been there?

Tia

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Erm, why? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Merely because I prefer them without :-D

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

fairly easy if you are handy at DIY and car spraying.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The obvious answer would be to not buy a van with.

Anyway, what "car-derived van" are we talking about with glassfibre body sides?

It _does_ have a full complement of wheels, right, Rodney?

Reply to
Adrian
4 wheeled thanks trig ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Did they do a van version of the Scimitar, then?

Reply to
John Williamson

+1,

but it does depend a bit on how they have been made and how invisible you want them to be.

For example, if they are perspex in double-U channelling, and you want to lose the channelling then you are going to have to have a lap joint at the back for strength.

Reply to
newshound

There was always the Kitten, of course.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes I wondered about that as well. I once saw one of those with what I can only describe as stabilisers. Two like castors poking down just below the front t each corner. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This little round window was all the rage for a while. I seem to recall Peugot were quite fond of those. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why not just find a really nice bit of artwork, and fit that over the hole? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That circular painting, The Memory of Trees was always quite appealing when I could see. a kind of vertical view up through the trees. One on each side as a print would look nice. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What, like the g***se man... might work best with the porthole left in place tho :)

Reply to
Gazz

So what do you fill the hole with? Fibreglass body so shurely more fibreglass?

Can you buy it in sheets to cut to size and bond in?

If not what does one do?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Glassfibre mat plus resin.

Reply to
Adrian

Poor carrying capacity though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How do you get a smooth outside finish after the matting? Body filler?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

If you're doing the laying-up from the inside, then you start with a gel coat which'll form the final finish, against some kind of a mould. That _could_ be pretty much ready-to-go.

Reply to
Adrian

Mmm so if the panels with holes to fill are vertical how do you hold it all in until set?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK