OT: Gas supplier using wrong switching readings

Is there a time limit at which I can assume I no longer have a liability to my outgoing supplier?

I've been with a gas supplier for 2yrs but as I think I could get a better deal elsewhere I have switched.

The old supplier requested reading which I provided and then completely ignored them and provided a change-over reading way below.

I've advised the incoming supplier but they say they've got to use the outgoing suppliers figure despite photographic evidence.

The switch happened towards the end of June and I've heard nothing since from the outgoing supplier.

For the time being I've only provided the usage reading to the new supplier ie the reading they have plus my usage. If I gave them an actual reading I'd get a big bill from them and still face a bill from the outgoing supplier.

In truth it would suit me if the old supplier took no further action as I could then pay the gap to the new supplier which will save me money.

Perhaps in any event I should cancel the DD to the outgoing supplier but surely there is a point where I can assume it is all done and dusted?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Not really. I think cancelling is a good plan as they will soon be on your case if they have screwed it up when your money is refused, then you can bargain with them. I say never trust the switching as I did it with an internet isp and 6 years later they put a debt collection agency onto me for about 40 quid. Brian

It was Demon by the way. I'd like to think utility firms are better behaved and not totally disorganised, but at the time Demon were owned by Scottish power!

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The way it's worked the last two times I switched, is you provide initial readings to the incoming supplier, who in turn forward them to the outgoing supplier as their final readings.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting. I have the emails from my outgoing supplier requesting and then acknowledging the final readings.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Your problem as you explain above is because of this discrepency in the changover "reading". With your original supplier ignoring your actual reading, and instead giving a lower reading to your new supplier which they are using for billing purposes. And your worry is that your original supplier might decide to "unignore" your reading all of a sudden. Meaning you'd pay twice for the gap.

I know that this might sound like advice from someone with no knowledge of the real world but have you tried contacting the supplier by phone and sorting this out ? No matter how long this takes.

The reason I say this is that if they somehow get to think you owe them anything, say even 50p as a result of cancelling the DD then you'll certainly be trying to contact them by phone then, no matter how long it takes.

You need confimation from them of some kind before doing anything IMO. No matter how difficult this will be for you.

michael adams

michael adams

Electricity is the other way round, ie you tell the incoming supplier the chnage over reading and they pass it to the outgoing. Who deal with it fairly slowly. Haaving the incoming supplier do the most of the work to switch makes sense as they are the one getting revenue in the future.

The "big bill" from the new supplier won't be as big as the one from the old as it'll be based on the new, lower rates. That is the bill I'd want...

As for the old supplier, login to their online systems or give 'em a call to clarify when they think the account was closed. If push comes to shove it would be reasonable to argue that it was when they supplied the (low) reading to the new supplier.

But to be honest 4 weeks (End June to begining August, just!) isn't very long. One of my recent lecky switches one of the outgoing suppliers took around 6 week, may have been 8 to raise the DD for the final bill.

That'll wake 'em up within 24 hours, but could make they "dispute" the switch and demand it back from the new supplier especially as something seems to be "broken" with it as it stands.

There probably is, Statute of Limitations (7 years), if nothing else. For this I'd expect at least six months if not a year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes I'd be more than happy to pay the new supplier (for the gas they haven't supplied). That's in part why I'm not stirring it with the old supplier.

No on-line system.

Yes it's the logical thing to do other than my desire not to stir things .

ok, I guess they'll get round to it before Xmas then. But if they use my submitted reading then they'd better pass that on otherwise I'll raise it as a dispute.

I wouldn't like to have that hanging over me. One or the other of the suppliers is going to have to bill be for the shortfall.

Just no wonder folk are leary of switching. I'd recommended a friend to switch banks and her NI DD to HMRC got lost and took loads of phone calls to get sorted, everyone denying liability.

Reply to
AnthonyL

AnthonyL used his keyboard to write :

Having switched three times, in three years, my understanding is that the readings have to be checked and verified by an independent company, before they can be used as the switch reading. Which is why the switch takes time, rather than being instant.

Were I you - I wouldn't worry about it, but what is to prevent you putting the small difference away it cash? The DD should stop automatically, once the final balance is sorted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 01/08/2018, AnthonyL supposed :

In practice it makes no odds to either supplier. The old supplier buys and pays for an amount of gas from the actual gas supplier, you then pay your company all of which is based on your meter readings.

So neither company will win or loose very much.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think you may have been misled by the suppliers - or at the very least given only part the picture.

What happens about readings when you switch suppliers is regulated by Ofgem. And it's complicated. In fact the only simple thing about it is that you won't get charged twice for the same gas.

It's complicated 'cos the system's designed to cope with the people who don't provide readings promptly and accurately, and the readings may be a long time after the last readings the old supplier validated. So there's a calculation to see if the reading you supplied matches what's expected based on various things - that last validated reading, your annual usage in the past, seasonal corrections, and your star sign. (I may have misremembered that last bit.) As a result they may use a figure lower (or indeed higher) than the one you submitted. All done as someone else said by a third party.

Reply to
Robin

When I last switched (away from BG, for both gas and electric) I got a closing statement from them after about 6 weeks, and a couple of weeks later a cheque for their over billing.

Reply to
Davidm

+1 Readings have to be verified by a 3rd party and it can take up to 6 weeks. If the final reading is given to the old supplier you shouldnt lose much with them being a bit more expensive. I have switched a couple of times and I just let them get on with it.
Reply to
ss

The time limit for 'retrospective charges' by energy companies is 12 months.

As regards to the readings used for the change these will be what your previous supplier gives your new supplier. These are known as 'deemed readings' and IME are rarely the same as those you have given your new supplier.

Hopefully you will benefit from these readings being slightly underestimated from actual so you gain from any gap.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

That all is well and good but my new supplier wants regular meter readings. If I give them the true reading I'll have a big bill this month. Then, when they get round to it I'll have a big bill from the outgoing supplier leaving no doubt an issue to resolve with the new supplier.

And if a 3rd party is to verify why on earth ask me to submit a photo of the meter on the switch date then ignore it?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Excellent thanks.

Wierd since they both wanted readings on the switch date and I sent them a date stamped photo.

Well no because at some time my new supplier will end up with an actual reading adding 200 cu ft of gas to their charge unless the old supplier clears up the switch reading.

Reply to
AnthonyL

So you've given them an "invented reading" based on the old supplier's change-over reading plus the difference between a recent meter reading and the final reading which you supplied?

If so, I'd say be careful doing that sort of thing, it could be interpreted as fraudulent.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I must be missing something as I don't see how you can end up paying twice for the same gas. The old and new suppliers use the same figure for the closing and opening bills respectively. If they don't you call them and they jump as it's a great big no-no with Ofgem.

Don't know about the photo as we've switched >10 times and never ever been _asked_ to send one. Some have _offered_ it as an option: I've always assumed that was to cater for those who an analogue meter challenging. But I clearly failed to explain that the actual reading is required as the _starting_ point for what the new and old suppliers use. And that reading may well be the _end_ point - ie what they both use - if it passes the credibility checks that are required. Ours have always been but then our usage has been stable for many years.

Reply to
Robin

I've switched multiple times without problem until my last switch away from GreenStar Energy. 12 weeks after switching away from them and I'm still trying to get a final bill.

Reply to
alan_m

If you manage to sort it out with your old supplier, you're then going to have a problem persuading the new supplier to change all their figures.

If you do nothing, they're going to hit you with a big bill when you leave them and have to catch up with the real reading.

I'd be tempted to bring the new company up to the real figure - even if you add on a bit each month rather than in one jump.

If, down the line, the first company come after you, refer them to the figure that they and the new company have used as an ending/starting figure (what proof have they got that the original figure you gave wasn't in error?) If they persist, ask them to sort it out directly with the new company as they passed on the wrong figure.

If it all becomes difficult, refer them to Ofgem. Years ago, when we got married, my wife left her flat. Due to an error on the part of British Gas/Transco, it turned out that they'd not taken a direct debit for 18 months and she received a large bill! She spoke to BG and then to Ofgem and her bill was reduced to £85. She paid by cheque and they managed to mess that up and key in £8.50, so they started chasing her for the rest. When I called them and went through what had happened and the latest c*ck-up, they cancelled the rest of the bill and sent her a bunch of flowers!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Of course it'll get sorted but I don't trust that to happen without an issue.

How can I trust the outgoing company who specifically asked for a reading, acknowledged the reading but asked for photo verification and then ignored it? The incoming company say they must use the figure given to them by the outgoing company. So let's play the scenario through - I give the incoming company the correct reading as I am expected to do this on-line at least monthly. I get billed for the

200cu ft of gas shortfall.

The outgoing company then gets their billing sorted, see that they have that 200 cu ft shortfall so they bill me for it.

What happens next?

Reply to
AnthonyL